Oman
Joined 6039 days ago

362 posts - 529 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*
Studies: English, Japanese

Message 1 of 47
01 July 2009 at 1:05am | IP Logged 

The Reversed-Listening-Reading Method:

The traditional steps of L-R method are for increasing listening comprehension. For other skills, I suggest listening to an audiobook in L1 (e.g. English) while reading L2 text (e.g. Dutch).

Anyway, this technique will work for all languages. By reading the L2 text and listening to what you obviously understand L1 (which is English), you will be able to pick up easily new vocabulary and in context too, and you will understand the most complicated grammar points easily.

This is totally different to the way most people learn languages using L-R (or learning through subtitles). Usually, they listen to the L2 target language audio with English text. But often, it is really difficult to clearly hear what is being spoken because it is spoken quickly, and sometimes colloquially with slang. But listening to your own native language being spoken instead is very easy.

Try to watch English movies with your L2 subtitles. You will be amazed at your ability to understand L2! Try it with as much movies as you can. (e.g. 7-10 and repeat them 3 times at least.)

When you see the benefit of this method, try it with long novels.

Edited by Hashimi on 01 July 2009 at 2:02am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5928 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 2 of 47
01 July 2009 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
Siomotteikiru once talked about one of his/her friends who did this with the friend ending up with fairly bad pronunciation. Are you talking about using this after you've achieved a certain level of skill in listening comprehension though?
1 person has voted this message useful

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6227 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 3 of 47
01 July 2009 at 5:11am | IP Logged 
Try burning the book and snorting the ashes...

Edit: I believe it is also necessary to include a warning here that you should first consult your physician about the negative side effects of prolonged smoking/inhaling of such substances. In fact, the prolonged consumption of literature and other cultural products may also need a closer look from competent authorities.

Edited by reineke on 03 July 2009 at 5:50pm

Hashimi
Oman
Joined 6039 days ago

362 posts - 529 votes 

Message 5 of 47
01 July 2009 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 

Alkeides wrote:
Siomotteikiru once talked about one of his/her friends who did this with the friend ending up with fairly bad pronunciation.

This method is not for listening comprehnsion or speaking. It's for reading/writing, understanding grammar, and acquiring new vocabulary.

The pronunciation is not a problem for all language learners. Yes, some people learn languages to speak with others or watching TV and movies in foreign languages.

But there many learners who do NOT need to speak with native speakers, they just want to be able to read books and other written materials in those languages (e.g. academic scholars, students, translators, etc.)

3 years ago I could read and English book in history or linguistics but I could NOT understand news on TV or even the dialogue in cartoons!

But I was satisfied with my level, because in that time, there was no need to understand spoken English.

turaisiawase wrote:
Even normal L-R is too difficult for the majority of people (mostly because they don't read good literature at all), so M L-R would by beyond their reach.

But the good things, is that R-L-R is not limited to literary works, in can be applied to movies, TV shows with subtitles, and in this case, sometimes the results are better.

Hashimi
Oman
Joined 6039 days ago

362 posts - 529 votes 

Message 7 of 47
01 July 2009 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 

Clearly L-R works, there are great advantages to both methods, but each one is better for specific skills. One for listening comprehension and speaking, the other for reading comprehension, writing, more vocabulary, and more understanding of grammar.

This discussion contains 47 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version