Triglot
United States
Joined 5353 days ago

150 posts - 166 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Thai
Studies: French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 41 of 213
19 September 2009 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
That's funny, because I did the same thing with Thai. I did what a friend recommended - used an SRS and deleted
everything older than a month. That's one way to keep the study time low.
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 42 of 213
19 September 2009 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
I wouldn't be able to learn a huge amount of words a day. Al my life long I have had a weak memory, so learning vocabulary is not a breeze for me. I work with weekly tasks. In my private study group I work through one chapter of our textbook per week and I learn the new vocabulary of this chapter per week.

Fasulye

rggg
Heptaglot
Mexico
Joined 6106 days ago

373 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French, Italian, Portuguese, Indonesian, Malay
Studies: Romanian, Catalan, Greek, German, Swedish

Message 43 of 213
24 September 2009 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
I learned about 250 new words in Indonesian last week, but I wasn't really trying to learn a specific number, I was just studying and thinking about how to say this or that sentence, looking words up in an online dictionary and writing down the words I found.

Sadly, this week hasn't been that productive.

Take care!!!

snoppingasusual
Quadrilingual Hexaglot
Groupie
Lebanon
Joined 5348 days ago

49 posts - 65 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Egyptian), French*, English*, Arabic (Written)*, Arabic (Levantine)*, Spanish

Message 44 of 213
24 September 2009 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
I set goals for myself, so I learn one hundred words a day. I am quite surprised at numbers such as 250 words a day! You can cover 15 thousand words in sixty days; you are basically learning a whole language in a matter of three months if you take grammar into account. This is quite impressive!

cymro
Triglot
Groupie
Wales
Joined 6235 days ago

76 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*, Welsh, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 45 of 213
24 September 2009 at 8:26am | IP Logged 
snoppingasusual wrote:
I set goals for myself, so I learn one hundred words a day. I am quite surprised at numbers such as 250 words a day! You can cover 15 thousand words in sixty days; you are basically learning a whole language in a matter of three months if you take gramma r into account. This is quite impressive!

It takes quite a bit of effort. There are two problems. One is life itself and finding the time and the second is finding the resources for the learning.
I use electronic methods for Latin and Spanish see http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=16728&PN=1

Currently I am doing formal courses and the data are provided for me. They still need modifying though to work with the tools that I use.

I am in the assessment season for my courses. I have learned little new vocabulary over the last few days. I have an assignment to complete in Spanish and a Latin exam coming up. I have 10 hours of train travel over the next few days which I intend to use to the full and have been preparing for it by producing my Latin data for my pocket computer. This is excepts from the grammar book, cut down for brevity and conciseness. Recorded Mp3s of me reading the text and prepared recordings of grammar tables. I also have vocab and grammar exercises programmed into the pocket computer.
I wrote the programs to do this myself.

I had an hour and a half of travelling time on train and mostly by foot yesterday so my MP3 player was playing repeated recordings of the Latin tables and either repeating them in my head or muttering them to myself.

2 persons have voted this message useful

mrasiteren
TurkeyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5321 days ago

10 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: English

Message 46 of 213
24 September 2009 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
ah, I am too lazy to sit down and try to memorize words, instead I just read something
and if a
particular word in it interests me or if it prevents me from understanding the concept of
the
text. I look it up in a dictionary. But I spend lots of time on reading and listening, so
I can guess some of the words. It's a slow process but I enjoy it and I'm in no hurry. (I
want to learn English for 6 years later and by that time I hope I will have been pretty
much fluent in it.)

Edited by mrasiteren on 24 September 2009 at 5:21pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

GALIN
Triglot
United States
Joined 5318 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Russian*, Turkish, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 47 of 213
27 September 2009 at 8:46am | IP Logged 
Back in school used to memorize 10-50 words/day.
Nowadays at most maybe 10, but I don't study, just if unknown words come out of daily conversation or media.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 48 of 213
27 September 2009 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
I'm too lazy to read 10 pages to learn 100 words. I learn 100 words from a dictionary, and then I read 10 pages for fun.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 213 messages over 27 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version