Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
213 messages over 27 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 ... 26 27 Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 161 of 213
25 November 2010 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
I studied something in Bahasa Indonesia yesterday and noted down around fifty unknown words. Afterwards I did a Bahasa wordlist with around 100 words (using the layout I have described earlier in this forum), - including the 50 words from the text.

Afterwards I studied a text in Greek about Acropolis and jotted down something like a dozen words.

Have I learnt slightly above 100 Bahasa words yesterday? Well, from earlier tests I know that I can recognize and recall most of the words one day later when I do my repetition round, but that doesn't mean that they have become active. To make them active I normally have to meet them several times, and preferable also use them several times.

I do my repetition round with the translation into Danish as the basis precisely to strengthen my recollection of the foreign words, and without this round most of the words would just be forgotten. But with the repetition a fair proportion remain wellknown, though not necessarily active.

Actually I have never counted how many words I would remember alone from the Danish translation, - but it might be worth investigating. I would just have to make a list of the Danish words in a wordlist the first day and then try to recall the foreign words the next day, then I would know the proportion we are speaking about here.

I have however noticed that it is easier to activate new words in a wellknown language, maybe because many forgotten views have left some kind of imprint, and I'm fairly sure that most Danish words I know passively are active - but still only a minority of the words I have learned passively in Bahasa and - to some extent - in Greek.

1 person has voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6456 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 162 of 213
25 November 2010 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:

I used to think the same, until I met a person who learned more than 100 words per day
in German, everyday, for three months. So that, after three months his vocabulary was a whopping 10,000 words, and his abilities in the language were (and still are)
astonishing.

I am curious about your commentary.

What was his native language?

What technique did he use?

Was he living in Germany for this three months?

Did he use other methods?

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5450 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 163 of 213
25 November 2010 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
Splog wrote:

I used to think the same, until I met a person who learned more than 100 words per day
in German, everyday, for three months. So that, after three months his vocabulary was a
whopping 10,000 words, and his abilities in the language were (and still are)
astonishing.

I am curious about your commentary.

What was his native language?

What technique did he use?

Was he living in Germany for this three months?

Did he use other methods?

His native language is English, and he was living in Germany for those three months.

His method - at least as he described it to me - was spending hours upon hours a day
studying wordlists and copying them out by hand repeatedly to fix them in his memory.

slymie
Tetraglot
Groupie
China
Joined 5009 days ago

81 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English, Macedonian
Studies: French, Mandarin, Greek
Studies: Shanghainese, Uyghur, Russian

Message 164 of 213
25 November 2010 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I studied something in Bahasa Indonesia yesterday and noted down around fifty unknown words. Afterwards I did a Bahasa wordlist with around 100 words (using the layout I have described earlier in this forum), - including the 50 words from the text.

Afterwards I studied a text in Greek about Acropolis and jotted down something like a dozen words.

Have I learnt slightly above 100 Bahasa words yesterday? Well, from earlier tests I know that I can recognize and recall most of the words one day later when I do my repetition round, but that doesn't mean that they have become active. To make them active I normally have to meet them several times, and preferable also use them several times.

I do my repetition round with the translation into Danish as the basis precisely to strengthen my recollection of the foreign words, and without this round most of the words would just be forgotten. But with the repetition a fair proportion remain wellknown, though not necessarily active.

Actually I have never counted how many words I would remember alone from the Danish translation, - but it might be worth investigating. I would just have to make a list of the Danish words in a wordlist the first day and then try to recall the foreign words the next day, then I would know the proportion we are speaking about here.

I have however noticed that it is easier to activate new words in a wellknown language, maybe because many forgotten views have left some kind of imprint, and I'm fairly sure that most Danish words I know passively are active - but still only a minority of the words I have learned passively in Bahasa and - to some extent - in Greek.

I have a few questions about doing the word lists then, would really appreciate an answer for clarity.

1. How important is proper spelling, we both study Greek, ε,η,οι,ι,ect can be difficult... does it matter how accurate your spelling is when going to the third sector?

2. What do you do when you encounter a word that just won't stick... do you pass it and keep going or stick at it till it sinks in.

3. And just to clarify when you said you can recall X words from yesterdays list, do you mean recall as in if I tell you the word in your mother tongue you can recall the word in target language? or just see the word and know the meaning?

thanks!

Edited by slymie on 25 November 2010 at 6:31pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 165 of 213
25 November 2010 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
Answers to Slymie:

I do think correct spelling (including the accents) is important, but actually the different ways of writing the vowels haven't really been a problem - maybe because I primarily learn languages from their written form and then add the details of the pronunciation later. I guess most people learn through their ears. But the position of the accent was constantly surprising to me during the early phase of my Greek studies - my rule was that the accent in a Greek words can be in three positions, and my expectation was always wrong.

Sometimes I just leave a word, - but long seemingly 'unrecallable' words can mostly be split into parts, and if you learn those the long word won't be so difficult to remember. Short words are normally not so difficult to remember, and the question is just to find a good 'memory hook'

About the rate of recall: I mean two things. When I tested my recall of the foreign words I wrote a separate list of the foreign words in a wordlists and went through it the day after. I don't remember the exact percentage of words whose meaning I remembered, but it was high - maybe around 80%. Another member tried the same thing and got something like 90%. NB: I accepted synonyms for the translations in this test, which took place in 2007, shortly after I had gotten the idea of three-column wordlists.

The test for something akin to active recollection would be built on the same principle, but with a prepared list of the native language terms in a wordlist. In this case I wouldn't accept synonyms, but minor variations in spelling or morphology (for instance wrong gender of a German word).

Edited by Iversen on 25 November 2010 at 9:33pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 166 of 213
25 November 2010 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
And the next question to those maintaining a regimen of vocabulary acquisition:

Has learning a large amount of words on a daily basis contributed to your quickly becoming fluent?

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 167 of 213
25 November 2010 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
Yes

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 168 of 213
25 November 2010 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
Ok

This discussion contains 213 messages over 27 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version