China
Joined 5810 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 57 of 213
23 October 2009 at 8:46am | IP Logged 
25 to 50 words a day at this point. I find it a comfortable pace. 50 to 100 is just too much for me and leads to burnout, especially since I must remember the characters and write them.

In my opinion, learning amount of words per day should be inversely proportional to the amount of possible connection the word entails.

Therefore, cramming any of the 1000 most common words is a very bad idea and you are not really "learning" them at all, because you are not cognizant of all the words' connections and usage possibilities. Whereas, a native learning 100 SAT words with 1 or 2 usage possibilities, based on a very solid network of words is no big deal.
3 persons have voted this message useful

paisley
Groupie
United States
Joined 5472 days ago

59 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 58 of 213
24 October 2009 at 4:42am | IP Logged 
haha, 2! Any more than that and I get lost. Good thing that right now I only have 100-200 words to learn. that's my goal, 2 a day.

Edited by paisley on 24 October 2009 at 4:44am

1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5902 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 59 of 213
24 October 2009 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
paisley wrote:
haha, 2! Any more than that and I get lost. Good thing that right now I only have 100-200 words to learn. that's my goal, 2 a day.

What do you mean you have only 100-200 words to learn? Is that your goal and definition of "knowing" the language or something? That's a pretty low goal if you ask me. I would already speak very fluent Italian, Greek, German, Japanese, and Swedish in that case.

Edited by ellasevia on 25 October 2009 at 6:32pm

MinTeoh
New Zealand
learnchineseeveryday
Joined 5266 days ago

5 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*

Message 60 of 213
28 October 2009 at 5:23am | IP Logged 
For Chinese character, you can't really learn 100-200 words a day.
It's better to learn a Chinese character a day. :)

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6528 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 61 of 213
28 October 2009 at 6:18am | IP Logged 
At one Chinese character per day, it will take you 10 years to develop basic reading skills. That is way too long.

I spent a year learning about 5 kanji per day in order to be able to read basic Japanese materials. I already knew the
kana of course, and I tried to learn a few words using each new kanji at the same time.

Yukamina
Canada
Joined 6024 days ago

281 posts - 332 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean, French

Message 62 of 213
29 October 2009 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
If you can learn 100-200 words a day in the first place, it can be done in Chinese too.

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5598 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 63 of 213
31 October 2009 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
paisley wrote:

What do you mean..

At least he's honest! Keep it up paisley and hold your head high!
But frankly, I think you can do a bit better than that if you try.
Just keep the book or flashcards in your handbag, on the kitchen table or anywhere you might be likely to sit down for a few minutes.

As for me, I have upped the game a bit though. I said "10 per day" back in July. It's more like 20 now. BUT some of it are full sentences or expressions, not just a word.

I am talking about Russian which is is a very different language. There are often no "hooks" to help you remember a word and the grammar is very difficult.

If I was studying German... NO PROBLEM, could easily learn 30-40 new German words a day, and remember them forever.

Thatzright
Diglot
Finland
Joined 5432 days ago

202 posts - 311 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, German, Russian

Message 64 of 213
31 October 2009 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
One specific problem for me with learning Russian words is the Cyrillic alphabet. I know the entire alphabet by now, but I'm not always able to just glance at a word and straight away "decode" it to the Latin alphabet in my head (which is, sadly, what I do... I'm not nearly far enough in Russian to "think" in the Cyrillic script), so it can take up to about seven or eight seconds to really even "see" all the letters. And after that there's the fact that some Russian words just kind of don't... look very familiar :-)

In French, I can learn about twenty to thirty words a day, that is presuming that I actually bother to start learning any new ones.

Oh and, I think paisley's learning Mandarin words for his/her (sorry, I don't remember anymore : D) job, which is apparently selling cosmetic products over the phone, so she doesn't exactly need to be able to discuss whatever comes along.

Edited by Thatzright on 31 October 2009 at 1:58pm

This discussion contains 213 messages over 27 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version