How many words do you learn per day?

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
213 messages over 27 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 ... 26 27 Next >>
luhmann
Brazil
Joined 5118 days ago

156 posts - 271 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: Mandarin, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 89 of 213
27 June 2010 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
My approach to learning vocabulary is to learn, then forget, then learn again... always grading generously. Words are only ultimately fixated after I begin to recognise them in real media.

It is best to learn 10% of 100 words than 100% of 10 -- because in the first you get acquainted with extra 90 words, that you may chance to recognise, and that will be easier to learn the next time.

6 persons have voted this message useful

Darobat
Diglot
Joined 6973 days ago

754 posts - 770 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin

Message 90 of 213
28 June 2010 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
According to my personal spreadsheet, I've added an average of 9.25 words per day to my Russian Anki deck over the past month or so. I shoot for 10 a day, 60 a week, and 250 a month. My weekly and monthly goals are less than what they should be since life has this habit of getting in the way. By setting my goals lower, I'm more likely to reach them which is encouraging. I'd much rather be ahead than feel like I'm lagging behind.
3 persons have voted this message useful

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5771 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 91 of 213
28 June 2010 at 8:37am | IP Logged 
astein wrote:
I just use Anki when I am reviewing. With SRS, you don't need to worry about forgetting
anything later, as you need to keep reviewing. My basic strategy is to put in words in
groups of 1000 (really only 500, as they are front and back). Then, I learn two of
these groups every weekend. I'll miss a weekend every so often, but I probably average
3-4000 words a month.

Could you take us through your process? Are you just adding individual words with a dictionary definition? How are you selecting these words? I think it'd be a real problem or me to add more than 100 words in a weekend, so it seems amazing to me that you're able to add so many. I usually add mine as sentences from a book that I'm reading though.

2 persons have voted this message useful

cymro
Triglot
Groupie
Wales
Joined 6239 days ago

76 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*, Welsh, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 92 of 213
28 June 2010 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
Perhaps my method will help elucidate things. I actually use Jmemorize as my learning program. I use electronic sources of words and programs I have written myself to produce
CSV files for Jmemorize.

As I type my webserver is processing a large file of Latin words against the Basic English vocabulary set that is available from wikipedia.

I have been studying Latin for some while but I still lack basic everyday words so I thought this would be a useful source. I am actually studying a formal course but I am not finding the vocab I need to be able to walk down the street thinking in Latin in my head yet. I keep getting stuck over easy stuff.

The problem is the course is for READING. I can learn languages fast when I SPEAK them.
So I am revamping things from that point of view. It is actually quite difficult to find all the grammar examples I need too.

Edited by cymro on 28 June 2010 at 9:59am

1 person has voted this message useful

Dragonsheep
Groupie
United States
Joined 5055 days ago

46 posts - 63 votes 
Studies: Tagalog, English*
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 93 of 213
28 June 2010 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure if this deserves its own topic, but how many characters (kanji, hanzi, etc.) can you reasonably learn in a day?

Kazen
Diglot
Groupie
Japan
japanese-me.com
Joined 5113 days ago

96 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese

Message 94 of 213
28 June 2010 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
Dragonsheep wrote:
I'm not sure if this deserves its own topic, but how many characters (kanji, hanzi, etc.) can you reasonably learn in a day?

It depends what you mean by "learn". If you only want to retain the shape and an English keyword you could cram dozens. On the other hand if you want to remember shape, stroke order, important readings (more of an issue with Japanese), common compounds, and how to write the character from memory the number drops precipitously.

justberta
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5370 days ago

140 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: English, Norwegian*
Studies: Indonesian, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 95 of 213
28 June 2010 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
1 word per day. Easier to remember. And it's much easier to start speaking the language
with a small albeit well pronounced vocabulary.

astein
Pentaglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5053 days ago

80 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, French, Mandarin
Studies: Russian, Dutch

Message 96 of 213
28 June 2010 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
doviende wrote:
astein wrote:
I just use Anki when I am reviewing. With SRS, you don't need to worry about forgetting
anything later, as you need to keep reviewing. My basic strategy is to put in words in
groups of 1000 (really only 500, as they are front and back). Then, I learn two of
these groups every weekend. I'll miss a weekend every so often, but I probably average
3-4000 words a month.

Could you take us through your process? Are you just adding individual words with a dictionary definition? How are you selecting these words? I think it'd be a real problem or me to add more than 100 words in a weekend, so it seems amazing to me that you're able to add so many. I usually add mine as sentences from a book that I'm reading though.

So, I am actually really lazy with adding cards. I found a web-site (german-flashcards.com, and I believe there are similar websites for Chinese, French, Spanish, etc.), and I have simply added every word from that website. It´s unfortunately in the wrong format, so I still have to type all of the cards. However, I just go to a section where it says "Words by Level" and then try to put in 10 pages of words in a sitting (around 500).

As for my method for learning, I have found that I need some sort of outside stimulation to be able to bear the time sitting at the computer. I generally have about 400-500 reviews a day (probably around 20-30 minutes worth of reviewing), and then it is another 20 minutes or so for every 100 words I learn. Therefore, when I am learning these 1000 words in a weekend, it will take around 3-3.5 hours. I download a whole bunch of episodes of some television show or another beforehand, and then I simply learn while watching television. Note: I only watch television in my native tongue or in German (which is almost as easy for me to understand now). Otherwise, it is simply too difficult to concentrate on both at the same time.

Edited by astein on 28 June 2010 at 1:47pm

This discussion contains 213 messages over 27 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version