Groupie
Argentina
Joined 5094 days ago

91 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian, German, Mandarin, Greek

Message 9 of 11
26 August 2011 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
I've just found this post. I recently heard about this and I'm delightful! I read that this greek is closer to ancient greek than to modern.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5452 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 10 of 11
27 August 2011 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
Is there any place online where we might see some examples of Calabrian Greek? It sounds really interesting...

ETA: This looks like it might be a Calabrian poem/song lyric, but it's written in the Greek alphabet. Is there anyone here who reads Greek and could tell me if I'm right?

Edited by Jinx on 27 August 2011 at 7:27pm

loukas76gr
Diglot
Greece
Joined 4578 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Greek*, English
Studies: GermanB2

Message 11 of 11
24 September 2011 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
This site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griko_people will give you some hints where the greek calabrian language (griko or officially: Grecanic) is spoken.
In fact some people regard it as a language, some other as a greek dialect.
In my opinion, it is a derivative of the greek language blended with elements of the mainly spoken language in the area, the Italian.

On youtube the are a lot of songs in Griko by local bands performing in this so special dialect/language, e.g. search for Ghetonia, Avleddha, Briganti di terra d' Otranto..., so you can have an impression of how it sounds.

Here are also some sites made by the local people, who struggle to keep their language alive... you see, it becomes extinct, as it is not taught at schools, but learnt in families and the local communities in these villages.

http://www.greciasalentina.org/L_Html/glossama.htm
http://grikamilume.blogspot.com/

About the song: You're right, it's a poem in griko, originally coming from the village: GallicianĂ², Condofuri, Italia.
It says about a young girl, who's stolen the heart of a man, and he asks from her to stay with him, remove pain from his heart and make his life brighter...

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version