Joined 6802 days ago

555 posts - 605 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Dutch, Esperanto

Message 9 of 34
08 May 2009 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
With Skype, you can voice- or video-chat with up to 5 people at a time, as long as your connection as a host is fast enough (all traffic between all participants must go through your computer).

IIRC, Skype supports voice conferences of up to 5 people. Multi-person video chats are not supported. Skypecasts have been discontinued.

1 person has voted this message useful

Sgt.Pepper
Ukraine
Joined 5500 days ago

38 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: Ukrainian*

Message 10 of 34
09 May 2009 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
-

Edited by Sgt.Pepper on 16 March 2010 at 3:00am

sprachefin
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5537 days ago

300 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Spanish
Studies: French, Turkish, Mandarin, Bulgarian, Persian, Dutch

Message 11 of 34
09 May 2009 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
Professor,
I have viewed a few of your videos. I find that you are being too hard on yourself. When you make a lecture, you
are making it for serious students who really need information on learning languages on their own. I would
never have heard of shadowing if I had not watched your videos on it. I would continue to make videos the way
you do right now. If people find it boring, that is there loss, but there are many serious students that are
probably taking small notes on how to shadow, or what types of dictionaries they should get (I do). These
students are the ones you make these videos for. Making an exciting funny video would definitely be awkward
for you, and it would most likely make serious students think that you are not serious enough anymore. Live-
Casting your lectures is a way to encourage questions from people, but putting them on Youtube allows people
to ask questions via comment or message. These questions will not interrupt your lesson, and they will allow
more thinking to be put into the question. So, in conclusion, I hope you keep your videos just the way they are. I
would also like to thank you for making these multiple videos and putting them on Youtube. I actually use this
information and I know realize from the responses from many members, that a lot of other people do as well.

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6055 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 12 of 34
09 May 2009 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
Prof. Arguelles,

Please DO NOT change anything about your videos. I personally find them very helpful in my studies and I find they contribute significantly to help me improve my language learning studies. I also would like to see more, rather than less. I think that lectures on language learning as has been suggested above would be excellent.

In that regard, Professor, have you considered finding a way to begin your institute of polyglottery through an online medium? Many people on these forums (myself included) don't study full time (I am an engineer by day and language hero by night). But I put in more than four hours of study per day and am quite serious about it. Many students would probably jump at the chance to attend an online school of yours even if it was just part time initially.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks as always,

Jon

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7047 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 13 of 34
11 May 2009 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
Many thanks to all those who dispelled my fears that the accusations of rambling might be founded. Clearly I do not come across in this fashion to an interested audience. At any rate, I was never planning on changing my style of videos or putting live streaming on YouTube. I will continue making the same kind of YouTube videos, and in addition I will be adding the format of live lectures and seminar discussions on my own websites.

AA

ronp
Heptaglot
Australia
ronpeek.blogspo
Joined 5885 days ago

33 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, German, Flemish, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Norwegian, Mandarin, Esperanto, Finnish, Macedonian, Hindi, Greek, Indonesian, Lithuanian, Basque, Portuguese, Russian, Arabic (Written), Sign Language
Studies: Turkish, Swahili

Message 14 of 34
12 May 2009 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
Dear Professor Arguelles,

Apologies for my late response, but I have been away from the internet for
a while.

I agree with the others that your lectures are very informative and helpful,
and you are not rambling. Learning languages and multiple language acquisition
takes time and does not follow an 'I want everything now, in two mouse clicks'
approach. I think that the kind of audience you intended to reach appreciates
the time and effort you put in making these videos, as well as your contributions
on this forum and your website.

Kind regards and thank you once again,

Ron Peek

Edited by ronp on 12 May 2009 at 1:52pm

Kugel
United States
Joined 6329 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 15 of 34
12 May 2009 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
It would probably take too much work, but I think a video series on any particular language, not just theory, would be great. It would really be great to have, say, hours upon hours of lectures of grammar on any given language. My guess is that the preparation would amount to 100s of hours if the course followed the (3 hours/week)/14 week semester structure, so this is probably just a dream.   

Tupiniquim
Brazil
Joined 5874 days ago

184 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, Russian

Message 16 of 34
12 May 2009 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 

Edited by Tupiniquim on 31 July 2009 at 11:55pm

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>