1 person has voted this message useful

Kugel
United States
Joined 6329 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 48
13 April 2009 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
I'm a truck driver, so I can understand how sleepiness can really put a damper on one's life. For whatever reason, getting up at 2-4 in the morning never worked out. I found that for me the best time to be awake are the 2nd shift hours, which means being awake approximately 0800 to around 0100 the following day. If I'm unfortunate enough to be on the road or wherever at 0500, I'll be doing something weird in order to stay awake, namely singing to myself as loud as humanely possible.

It would be interesting to find DOT numbers on what time of day is the most dangerous for sleepy drivers. I'm willing to bet that it's between 0300 and 0600.       

zanoni
Pentaglot
Brazil
Joined 5637 days ago

262 posts - 262 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Latin, Russian, German

Message 11 of 48
13 April 2009 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Hello,

I always had problems to sleep, since I was very young - my sleep latency has always been of 1:30+. That's a lot of lost time! And that has always been a problem to me: to wake up is very difficult when you had slept only 4 or 5 hours - but you have to (!) wake up. Studies go bad, everything go bad when you sleep bad. It's very frustrating. My schedule now is to sleep from 00:00 to 07:30, and since I cannot sleep fast I frequently do not listen even the alarm clock (at 07:45, normally), and lose a lot of time sleeping 'til 10 or 11 AM. The interesting is that, as more stressed you are, as less you have slept the last night, more difficult it is to sleep tonight. I can only have a good sleep latency (of 15-20 minutes) with medicine. I'm planning, now, considering studies - as it is very much more productive to study in the morning, as earlier as possible -, with my neurologist, of rearranging my sleep schedule for 22:00-05:30 (or 22:30-06:00, as I come back from the university at ~22:15).
For me, at least, I think that it is more intersting to force waking up, and suffer the consequences: it's the price.
Keep us updated of your results.

Kim.

Sgt.Pepper
Ukraine
Joined 5500 days ago

38 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: Ukrainian*

Message 12 of 48
17 April 2009 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
-

Edited by Sgt.Pepper on 16 March 2010 at 3:14am

Sgt.Pepper
Ukraine
Joined 5500 days ago

38 posts - 32 votes

Message 13 of 48
23 April 2009 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
-

Edited by Sgt.Pepper on 16 March 2010 at 3:14am

Sgt.Pepper
Ukraine
Joined 5500 days ago

38 posts - 32 votes

Message 14 of 48
23 April 2009 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
-

Edited by Sgt.Pepper on 16 March 2010 at 3:15am

Dark_Sunshine
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5556 days ago

340 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 15 of 48
23 April 2009 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
Sgt Pepper- I also have problems with oversleeping, and find it extremely difficult to wake up if I have slept for less than ten hours- I also tend towards being nocturnal if I have the chance. I really wish I was one of those people who can function on 7 hours sleep.

I read somewhere that to train yourself to get up earlier, it is easier to progressively go to bed one hour LATER each night, and get up one hour LATER, until you have worked your way right around the clock to the desired earlier time. I've never tried it, but apparently it works better than the other way around because you don't have to deal with the extended sleep latency problem. -Although it's obviously not very practical if you have commitments during the day.

Ortho
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6141 days ago

58 posts - 60 votes 

Message 16 of 48
23 April 2009 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
Dark_Sunshine wrote:
Sgt Pepper- I also have problems with oversleeping, and find it extremely difficult to wake up if I have slept for less than ten hours- I also tend towards being nocturnal if I have the chance. I really wish I was one of those people who can function on 7 hours sleep.

I read somewhere that to train yourself to get up earlier, it is easier to progressively go to bed one hour LATER each night, and get up one hour LATER, until you have worked your way right around the clock to the desired earlier time. I've never tried it, but apparently it works better than the other way around because you don't have to deal with the extended sleep latency problem. -Although it's obviously not very practical if you have commitments during the day.

I have tried this, without success. My natural rhythm is about 26 hours (16 awake, 10 asleep) and if I don't do anything about it my schedule will naturally creep forward an hour or two every night. It's not a problem for me in life, but it never goes all the way around the clock--once I start getting up after about 2 in the afternoon, whether 2pm or 4pm or whatever, I get tired at 6 or 7am, no matter whether I've been awake for 12 or 16 hours, and my schedule stays there. Since it's probably the worst schedule for me given the things I like to do in life, I end up forcibly moving it, which _always_ (for me) involves getting up early with not enough sleep and going to sleep "early". The "go to bed later and later and eventually you will go to bed early" thing has never actually played out correctly for me because I always get tired just after dawn, even if I've gotten up at 10pm.

Edited by Ortho on 23 April 2009 at 12:20pm

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version