Triglot
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5046 days ago

26 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English, Telugu, Hindi*
Studies: French

Message 49 of 88
04 July 2010 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
Haha, I saw this thread and the first thing I thought of was the Hyderabadi expression:
'Kya to bhi kirkiri!' Literally it means 'What only [nonsensical word meaning rubbish]'
Hyderabadi Hindi is very colourful, lol.

More vulgar expressions:
'Maa ke laude' - Your mom's penis!
'Bhen ke laude' - Your sister's penis!
They tend to be used a lot when you're driving in this city :D

Here's one of my favourites:
'Naak me rassi' - A rope in the nose, meaning something that's very irritating. I like
to think it originated from when people started to rein cattle and horses, but I've
never actually verified that.

In Telugu, I have a lot of favourites all in the same vein:
'Nee mokham' - Your face! (The correct English equivalent would be 'What shit!')
'Nee bonda' - Your dead body! (Slightly stronger language used when you think the other
person is really stupid)
'Nee talakai' - Your head-part! (This one is just awesome :D)

Deji wrote:
Also in Hindi, if you want to insult someone, you call them a brother-in-
law.

Why, you wonder. "Sala" (which is a serious insult, by the way) I believe is the
younger brother of the husband. They
(salas) traditionally have a free, joking and teasing and affectionate relationship
with the wife in a culture in which
life was (and may still be, for many) very restricted. As a result, love affairs would
be able to happen.

Unrelated curiosity: my Bengali dictionary has a word for a person who has bested his
guru, and also for someone
who has an affair with his guru's wife !

Clearly the guru-shishya relationship has had some ramifications that we in the West
have not heard about !! I
mean, in the dictionary ? !

About the 'sala' insult, it isn't always a serious insult. You may often hear (usually
uncouth) male friends call each other that in a brotherly fashion. It's not respectable
or polite at all though :D

The guru-shishya thing is very interesting, I didn't know they had words for it. It
does occur to me sometimes that Hinduism as a culture is a lot less prudish than some
western cultures, but these days there tends to be a lot of hypocrisy about things like
that. People don't want to come off as 'immoral' or something, I don't know.

Edited by socks on 04 July 2010 at 10:41am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Qinshi
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5534 days ago

115 posts - 183 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese*, English
Studies: French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 50 of 88
19 July 2010 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
trí thì nên,
chí thì nên, gội đầu.

Literal:
To have wisdom is become a good person,
To have lice is to ought to, wash one's hair.

This is a play on words, where chí (lice) & trí (wisdom) can be pronounced the same and nên can mean (to become a good person) or (to ought to do something).

Edited by Qinshi on 19 July 2010 at 11:44am

3 persons have voted this message useful

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5116 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2

Message 51 of 88
19 July 2010 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
Quetzalcoatl wrote:
French :

mettre de l'eau dans son vin
literally : to put water in one's wine
meaning : to eat humble pie or to tone down

How interesting, Quetzalcoatl. We have the same expression "water bij de wijn doen" in Dutch but it means to compromise.
1 person has voted this message useful

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7157 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 52 of 88
19 July 2010 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Quetzalcoatl wrote:
French :

Ah, I used that expression in an interview when commenting a decision by some organisation that was run at the time by gentleman who was a notorious alcoholic, and who made a watered-down version of a rather offensive project. "They have put water in their wine", I said, implying that the initial project's crazy nature could only be attributed to excessive drinking.

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5685 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 53 of 88
20 July 2010 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
ReneeMona wrote:
Quetzalcoatl wrote:
French :

How interesting, Quetzalcoatl. We have the same expression "water bij de wijn doen" in
Dutch but it means to compromise.

Actually the Dutch expression is due to French influence, as historically there was quite
some french influence in the lowlands, especially the southern parts...

Irchard
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5030 days ago

9 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Dutch, French

Message 54 of 88
22 July 2010 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
My favourite Dutch one has already been mentioned (Dat zal mij een worst wezen). Here are a few others that have tickled me over the years:

Broodje aap verhaal
lit. Monkey-sandwich story
means: urban legend

Maak dat de kat wijs
lit. Tell it to the cat
Used when someone is telling a story, maybe trying to excuse their way out of trouble, and you just don't believe them

This one is directed at the Dutch football team, and could be heard a lot during the World Cup:
Laat de leeuw niet in zijn hempie staan.
lit. Don't leave the lion standing in his vest.
To leave anybody 'standing in his/her vest' means to let them down or embarrass them. The lion in question is the lion in the emblem of the national football team (I guess he's a kind of mascot)

Interestingly, you can say something is "niet om over naar huis te schrijven", which is literally the same as the English phrase "nothing to write home about" and carries the same meaning.

De aap komt uit de mouw.
lit. The monkey comes out the sleeve.
Used when the truth (or some important information) that had been concealed is finally revealed.

I've also heard "Het schaap met 5 poten" which literally means 'the sheep with 5 legs', but I've never worked out what it is supposed to mean.

If I think of any more involving monkeys or sausages, I will post them.

Edited by Irchard on 22 July 2010 at 1:41am

Irchard
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5030 days ago

9 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Dutch, French

Message 55 of 88
22 July 2010 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
I can't believe I forgot this! Strictly speaking it's not an expression, or even slang, it's just one (fairly common) word. It's a Dutch verb that means 'to mimic' or 'to imitate'

Na-apen

It is spelt with the hyphen, and is made up of the words "na" which means 'after' and "aap" which means 'monkey' [and is spelt "apen" when made into an infinitive].

I am actively trying to introduce this in to English, but as a noun. If I want to accuse somebody of trying to imitate or copy me, I sometimes say something like "You're such an after-monkey!" It hasn't caught on yet, but I'm hoping it will eventually!

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5737 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 56 of 88
04 August 2010 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
More from the French:

French idioms.

I have always been a fan of the following idiom: Ce ne sont pas vos oignons ('It is none of your business', or literally, "those are not your onions"), but I now have two new favourites:

Avoir l'air d'une poule qui a trouvé un couteau ('to look puzzled or baffled' or literally, "to look like a hen that has found a knife") and something that I challenge any other language to beat for quirkiness (and I post this hoping it does not sound quite as rude in French as it does in English):

Avoir le cul bordé de nouilles ('to be lucky' or literally, "to have one's ass stuffed with noodles").

Also, it is likely that you will never look at a map of France in quite the same way again after deconstructing Faire une carte de France.

Edited by Spanky on 04 August 2010 at 3:56am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 88 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version