laoshu505000
United States
Joined 5597 days ago

121 posts - 232 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 57 of 221
11 April 2009 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
Hello there,

I've made this video in response to your question about the Japanese resources. It's a bit out of sync, but still watchable. I'm gonna start using my SD card from now on to make videos so that I won't problem again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JirluCJiQs

Moses McCormick

jondesousa wrote:
Hi Moses,

I hope this post finds you well. I appreciate all of the suggestions and help you have been providing for all of us. It is extremely helpful and full of incite into how you personally study languages. If you don't mind, I have some more questions for you and a few of them may be quite time consuming and may require lots of time to discuss. I apologize in advance if this is a hardship for you.

My first question: On your videos of language resources (ie boot camp) you mention that you use phrasebooks, dictionaries, coursebooks, etc. and also that you use many internet resources. Would it be possible for you to share a list of these internet resources by language? I think that resources that you have found to be tried and true may be extremely beneficial for those of us learning specific languages and may save many of us lots of time and effort to find useful resources.

My second question: On the videos where you discuss the languages you have studied and how much time spent in the countries, you mention that you are at high beginner, intermediate, low advanced level, etc. Could you please create a list of the resources you have personally used for each language so that (again) others may not have to repeat so much hard work of looking for useful resources? An example that I could personally give from my experience would be:

Japanese:
Japanese for Busy People I (not so useful)
Japanese for Everyone (extremely helpful to get to lower intermediate)
Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese (great to get to high int/ low adv)
Pimsleur Comprehensive (excellent for initial spoken language practice)
Remembering the Kanji I (very helpful to get a good start at kanji writing / meanings)

Italian:
Pimsleur Comprehesive Italian (helpful for initial spoken language practice)
Assimil Italian with Ease (good first step coursebook to get to lower int)
Easy Italian Reader (good for picking up lots of vocab and grammar structures)

My third question: You mention in your language learning videos that you highly suggest journal writing, chatrooms, forums, and coursebooks. Could you give an approximate percentage of time spent in each area per study session, for example: in a 3 hour session 1 hr. in coursebook, 1 hr. in chatroom, .5 hrs writing in journal, .5 hrs. reviewing journal corrections), etc.

Sorry this is so detail intensive, Moses, but I personally (and many others on the forum I would think) don't have as much time to study as we would like and the more efficient we can become, the quicker we could realize our goals. You heavily suggest a 3 month period to reach lower-intermediate for a language; however, if you already have a refined methodology and resources you can share, maybe we could all become as efficient as you.

I know what I am asking takes much time, so please forgive me for this request. If it is easier, maybe explaining these things on youtube videos would be better. Whatever you decide would be fine and very very helpful.

Best regards and warmest wishes,

Jon

1 person has voted this message useful

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6045 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 58 of 221
11 April 2009 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
Hi Moses,

Thank you so much for the video. It was very helpful. I can see how it would be a significant amount of work to do one of these videos for each of the languages you have studied, but anything you can do will surely help many of us.

Thanks again,

Jon

laoshu505000
United States
Joined 5597 days ago

121 posts - 232 votes 

Message 59 of 221
11 April 2009 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I do plan on making more videos on the other languages I know, including the resources I use to learn them. Thanks for viewing the video.

Moses McCormick

jondesousa wrote:
Hi Moses,

Thank you so much for the video. It was very helpful. I can see how it would be a significant amount of work to do one of these videos for each of the languages you have studied, but anything you can do will surely help many of us.

Thanks again,

Jon

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5493 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Hindi

Message 60 of 221
10 May 2009 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
Hi Moses,

I haven't seen it asked anywhere yet (if it is then please forgive me) but you said you learn languages for fun and don't really believe you could get advanced capabilities without spending some time in the country where it's spoken.

My question is: do you plan on being truly advanced in any of the languages you've learned and really waking them up by visiting the country? I think you mentioned your wife was Taiwanese so I guess you really could become fluent in that without visiting the country if you use that as the household language.

What are you thoughts?

Thanks,
Jerrod Rout

laoshu505000
United States
Joined 5597 days ago

121 posts - 232 votes 

Message 61 of 221
11 May 2009 at 5:12am | IP Logged 
Hello there,

I just wanted to make this video in response to your message.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=996rQiYpQ9w

Rout wrote:
Hi Moses,

I haven't seen it asked anywhere yet (if it is then please forgive me) but you said you learn languages for fun and don't really believe you could get advanced capabilities without spending some time in the country where it's spoken.

My question is: do you plan on being truly advanced in any of the languages you've learned and really waking them up by visiting the country? I think you mentioned your wife was Taiwanese so I guess you really could become fluent in that without visiting the country if you use that as the household language.

What are you thoughts?

Thanks,
Jerrod Rout

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5493 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Hindi

Message 62 of 221
12 May 2009 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
Thanks Moses!

blindside70
United States
polymathisthegoal.co
Joined 5542 days ago

24 posts - 31 votes
Studies: Spanish, Polish, German, French

Message 63 of 221
12 May 2009 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
I found it interesting that on a youtube comment you said that to read newspapers and difficult articles ect that you need to focus on more output.

Really? You feel this way getting to a higher level. It seems most polyglots are all about input, how could you ever express yourself without the information going into your head at first. I can understand talking 'to cement' it, but it seems to me you have to read it and learn it before you go and talk to the native speakers. Look foward to your comments

--- Chris Sarda

laoshu505000
United States
Joined 5597 days ago

121 posts - 232 votes 

Message 64 of 221
12 May 2009 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
Hello there,

Well, to build a higher level, you would definitely have to learn the content first before output. If you don't do that, it would be pretty hard to talk about some difficult topics and what not. Whatever you learn from those translations, it is imperative to use it in a conversation with a native speaker so that it would become solid knowledge.

Moses McCormick

blindside70 wrote:
I found it interesting that on a youtube comment you said that to read newspapers and difficult articles ect that you need to focus on more output.

Really? You feel this way getting to a higher level. It seems most polyglots are all about input, how could you ever express yourself without the information going into your head at first. I can understand talking 'to cement' it, but it seems to me you have to read it and learn it before you go and talk to the native speakers. Look foward to your comments

--- Chris Sarda

This discussion contains 221 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version