221 messages over 28 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 ... 27 28 Next >>
Kugel
United States
Joined 6324 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 113 of 221
12 March 2010 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
My point wasn't really about techniques/methodology; on the contrary, it was about the material itself. Lifting
material from language programs, without even an informal attempt on citation, is a mistake.

Methodology is besides the point.

Edited by Kugel on 14 March 2010 at 9:44pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Po-ru
Diglot
United States
Joined 5266 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 114 of 221
07 April 2010 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
Hey Moses, I have a question for you. I know your main study has been in Mandarin,
your very proficient in Japanese, and you have a Nigerian friend who is also studying
Japanese(who took the JLPT with you), I figured to ask you this question.

I am wondering what languages Nigerians speak AMONGST EACH OTHER when they immigrate to
Japan or China. I know there are about 30,000 Nigerians in China and probably more
than that in Japan. I know there are other populations of Nigerians in Indonesia,
Malaysia, and other East Asian countries.

I am wondering if you can help me answer what languages Nigerians speak amongst each
other when they immigrate to Asia, or at least which are most common.

Thanks

laoshu505000
United States
Joined 5602 days ago

121 posts - 232 votes 

Message 115 of 221
08 April 2010 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
Po-ru wrote:
Hey Moses, I have a question for you. I know your main study has been in Mandarin,
your very proficient in Japanese, and you have a Nigerian friend who is also studying

I am wondering what languages Nigerians speak AMONGST EACH OTHER when they immigrate to
Japan or China. I know there are about 30,000 Nigerians in China and probably more
than that in Japan. I know there are other populations of Nigerians in Indonesia,

I am wondering if you can help me answer what languages Nigerians speak amongst each

Thanks

Hey there,

I'm so sorry for this late reply. As you know, there are many different tribes in Nigeria and not everyone can understand each other unless they speak standard English or Pidgin English. Depending on what tribe the Nigerians come from, they will speak in their tribe language.Here in my city, I've met mostly Yoruba and Ibo speakers.The most common one,, I would say definitely Yoruba. I would assume that the Nigerians in Asia would be speaking their own tribe language.Are you interested in learning one of these languages?

Moses McCormick (Laoshu)
2 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5135 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 116 of 221
09 April 2010 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Hi Moses
I've found this post and your achievements very interesting. Imagine what you'll have achieved in another 10 years, incredible.
I have a few questions for you if you'll be kind enough to answer them. Sorry if you've already answered them somewhere.
1) Do you have a precise list of the languages you've studied anywhere? I'd be interested in knowing your levels in all of those languages in all the different disciplines.
2) Have you studied Czech yet? It's my number 1 foreign language.
3) Why is your name Laoshu? I'm a beginner at Mandarin and I think it means rat, doesn't it?
4) Do you ever suffer from lack of motivation and for example just watch TV or something because you don't feel like studying sometimes?
I expect you're very busy so thanks in advance for any reply.

Po-ru
Diglot
United States
Joined 5266 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 117 of 221
11 April 2010 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
laoshu505000 wrote:
Po-ru wrote:
Hey Moses, I have a question for you. I know your
main study has been in Mandarin,

Thanks

Hey there,

I'm so sorry for this late reply. As you know, there are many different tribes in
Nigeria and not everyone can understand each other unless they speak standard English
or Pidgin English. Depending on what tribe the Nigerians come from, they will speak in
their tribe language.Here in my city, I've met mostly Yoruba and Ibo speakers.The most
common one,, I would say definitely Yoruba. I would assume that the Nigerians in Asia
would be speaking their own tribe language.Are you interested in learning one of these
languages?

Moses McCormick (Laoshu)

Hey. Yeah actually I am interested in learning either Yoruba or Igbo. Do you have any
suggestions as to where to start?

I am not sure where the Nigerians come from geographically in Nigeria when they
immigrate to Asia, but I am wondering which language they use most commonly as their
lingua franca because Nigeria is so linguistically unique.

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6159 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 118 of 221
11 April 2010 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
I don't think you need to be Moses to be able to reply that... he probably hasn't been hanging around Nigerians in Asia so he's probably got no idea what language they're using as a lingua-franca.

Number 2, the Yoruba speakers probably hang out together and the Igbo speakers hang out with other Igbo speakers.

3, English is an official language in Nigeria... surely the lingua franca is going to be English. I doubt whether Igbo and Yoruba are anywhere near mutually intelligible.

laoshu505000
United States
Joined 5602 days ago

121 posts - 232 votes 

Message 119 of 221
12 April 2010 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
Po-ru wrote:
laoshu505000 wrote:
Po-ru wrote:
Hey Moses, I have a question for you. I know your
main study has been in Mandarin,

Thanks

Hey there,

I'm so sorry for this late reply. As you know, there are many different tribes in
Nigeria and not everyone can understand each other unless they speak standard English
or Pidgin English. Depending on what tribe the Nigerians come from, they will speak in
their tribe language.Here in my city, I've met mostly Yoruba and Ibo speakers.The most
common one,, I would say definitely Yoruba. I would assume that the Nigerians in Asia
would be speaking their own tribe language.Are you interested in learning one of these
languages?

Moses McCormick (Laoshu)

Hey. Yeah actually I am interested in learning either Yoruba or Igbo. Do you have any
suggestions as to where to start?

I am not sure where the Nigerians come from geographically in Nigeria when they
immigrate to Asia, but I am wondering which language they use most commonly as their
lingua franca because Nigeria is so linguistically unique.

Hey there,

I've made some videos in the past for Yoruba and Ibo resources. I think you should start off with Yoruba since it's the most popular one. I'll send you a few links for Yoruba resources and what not. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ9935mv-Lg&feature=PlayList& p=E0F6BBFE57837CE9&playnext_from=PL&index=0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwkOn8rd5_g&feature=PlayList& p=E0F6BBFE57837CE9&playnext_from=PL&index=1

Moses

m.alberto1
Diglot
Australia
youtube.com/user/lan
Joined 5545 days ago

218 posts - 221 votes 
Speaks: Tagalog, English*
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 120 of 221
12 April 2010 at 5:20am | IP Logged 
hey Moses,
I saw your videos on youtube and was really inspired.
You inspired me. I'm thinking of putting up my own videos within the next few days because of you!!
Ang galing mo talaga. Naimpress mo ako!

Matthew

This discussion contains 221 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version