Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
3959 messages over 495 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 494 495 Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6483 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 49 of 3959
09 December 2008 at 10:35am | IP Logged 
I would prefer to say that I once THOUGHT I was going to become a professional linguist, - I majored in French with grammar as my special area of interest and high notes. However I could see already in 1982 that job opportunities at the university level were few and difficult to get, so I studied economics instead and took a crash course in programming, and now I'm an IT consultant who just dabbles a little in language learning now and then.

Idiosyncratique: peculiar to one individual (in this case one language)
Postclitique: the adjective used about something that you attach to the end of something else
Agglutinative: adjective for a language that forms long compound words with elements that each has each own meaning.
Syncretique: adjective for a language that has endings etc. that each have a whole bunch of meanings
... and for the sake of completeness:
Isolating: said about languages whose words lack inflection. English is heading in that direction, Chinese is said to move away from that stage right now

Links to JonB:
The first description
A later description (page 4and 9)[/URL
The description in a wiki about language learning

Edited by Iversen on 09 December 2008 at 11:05am

1 person has voted this message useful

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6226 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 50 of 3959
09 December 2008 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
...and now I'm an IT consultant, who just dabbles a little in language learning.

You're too modest. Dabbles in language learning? Look under your name at the vast list of languages you speak, along with those you study.

I think you've gone far beyond "dabbling," sir. :-)

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5627 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 51 of 3959
09 December 2008 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I would prefer to say that I once THOUGHT I was going to become a professional linguist, - I majored in French with grammar as my special area of interest and high notes. However I could see already in 1982 that job opportunities at the university level were few and difficult to get, so I studied economics instead and took a crash course in programming, and now I'm an IT consultant who just dabbles a little in language learning now and then.

Idiosyncratique: peculiar to one individual (in this case one language)
Postclitique: the adjective used about something that you attach to the end of something else
Agglutinative: adjective for a language that forms long compound words with elements that each has each own meaning.
Syncretique: adjective for a language that has endings etc. that each have a whole bunch of meanings
... and for the sake of completeness:
Isolating: said about languages whose words lack inflection. English is heading in that direction, Chinese is said to move away from that stage right now

That's really a performance to keep your knowledge level of linguistics, while you are now working in a totally different profession.

Thank you for explanining these linguistic terms to me. I would guess that it isn't possible to find them in a normal English dictionary, you need a special linguistic dictionary to look them up? I have nothing to do with linguistics now, so I wouldn't have the chance to look them up by myself.

Concerning my person, my own university studies were not successful. As a consequence I had to leave university without a diploma, so I have not become an academic. Late in my life I aquired two professional qualifications on a normal professional level, one as an office clerk (I was already 39 when I obtained my IHK-exam) and one as a foreign language correspondence clerk (I was already 45 when I obtained my IHK-exam). Because I was already that old when I entered the job market without any qualified professional experience, I had to struggle to find any qualified job at all. For me it was almost too late to get employed.

Edited by Fasulye on 09 December 2008 at 1:41pm

Jar-ptitsa
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5678 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 
Speaks: French*, Dutch, German

Message 52 of 3959
09 December 2008 at 2:03pm | IP Logged 
Babylonia/Falsuye

I think that your university's teachers were absolutely idiot and they must shut up because it's evident that you are *very* intelligent.

I hope tht you like the job which you have now.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6483 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 53 of 3959
09 December 2008 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye: 'Idiosyncrasie' is a perfectly French word, while "idiosyncratique' probably should be seen as my own unintended gift to the Francophone language community - divine all-powerful Académie Française beware, you have an alien impostor at your front door who just assumes that you can make derivations out of any French (Greek) word to your heart's delight.

While idiosyncracy and idiosyncratic are reasonably common English words nicked from Ancient Greek, the rest of the words you quote are international linguistical terms - they have been discussed in earlier threads here, but sometimes I forget that not all people read grammars for fun (and I won't lure you into reading old musty threads again so you won't get the link here). I doubt that you can surprise me with words from astronomy, but please try. Besides I'm sure you have other interests with a vocabulary that would leave me clueless.

And btw. you are not the only one to have missed an exam. I lost one year on studying mathematics before I realized that a mathematician has to LOVE proving obscure and preposterous or boring assertions, - I just cared about pretty curves and beautiful or baffling formulas. And later I somehow forgot to write final thesis of my economical exam (I got a job at the wrong moment). I have never liked to do things the way I was told to do them, but somehow I have survived.

One thing more: I didn't "keep my knowledge level" after skipping the academic world, - my skills declined gradually until 2006, where I only could speak Danish, slightly rusty English, some German and bad French and ghastly Spanish (the latter was only saved because of my travels). I have relearned the rest of them since 2006 because I got annoyed to see that some people could speak dozens of languages. And then I just invented some methods to (re)learn languages on your own.

To Jar-Ptitsa: I agree with your last post. By the way, your own avatar name reminds me of a classical piece of music, namely the Firebird (Жар-птица) of Stravinsky, and the legend behind the music would probably not have been known by anybody outside Russia if he and choreographer Diaghilev hadn't made a full-blown ballet out of it. I'am sure that you know this, but do you like his music?

And now back to business: writing stuff.

Edited by Iversen on 09 December 2008 at 8:32pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6483 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 54 of 3959
09 December 2008 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
LAT: Librem "Opera Latina quae tironibus facilia lectu sunt" nunc perfecit, facte in 'autobu'* ultimam partem sine indice verborum lexi. Ceterum pars ultima de Caesario Hesterbacense (1180-1240 p.d.) scripta est - ille auctor tunc homo medievalis est. Quam aequales suis Caesar H valde religiosus fuit (et aliquot credulus!), sed tamen viventer ac genum dicendi continebat. De studentem ludibus occultibus delectantem de daemoni miserabile praeripito sed de magistri suis miraculose revocato scribet, de anulo in mare amisso sed rursus ex visceribus pisci reperto scribet, de usuario de demonio inspirato denarios masticando scribet. Tamen de uxore Henricis de Wida scribet quae suggestita est non ex balnea pede nudibus in palude immundo ac putente saltare desistere puteret, et vere succubita est: ".. quotiens balneatur, totiens graviter de eadem palude tentabatur. Die quadam exiens de balneo dixit pedissequae suae 'Nisi ingressa fuero paludem illam, moriar'. Statimque succingens [...]. Quod statim nuntiatum est marito eius, et ille gaudens, mox ut eam vidit, ait: "Quid est, domina? Fuistne hodie bene balneata?". Psycologica* applicata est (et hodie etiam causa certa divortii !).

*Terminem officialem nescio, 'autobus' (IV) indicat vehiculum magnum automaticum ad usu populi destinatum.
*Scientia graecam = ars homines et feminas manipulandae (Romani medicos et simulacra et medicos mentis ex Graeciae importabant (aut abripebant))    

RU: Вчера у меня не времена были для писания в журнале русского расдела. Вот это. Пописал списка слов, а нет легко как-то интересно сказать. Потом списка писал с 'семьями' из производных слов.Например писать/написатъ, выписывать/выпизатъ, записывать/записать, ...., писака, писание, письмо, .... - всё с переводами.

Душа русской языки нет поэзия, нет проза, нет Пушкин или Достоевски, нет сказки, нет выстпления Путина...
Душа русской языки - пиставки глаглов и другой механизмы словобазования!

GR: Στο βιβλίο των Δελφών έγω φθανει στην αίθουσα 5 του Μουσείου. Εδώ παρουσιάζοταν για παραδείγμα ένα τεράστιος ταύρος, κατασκευασμένος από ασημένια φύλλα στερεωμένα πανω σε ξυλινό σκελετό, επιπλεών τμήματα χρυσελεφάντινα αγάλματα, ένα ελεφαντινό κεφάλι με χρυσά διάδημα - και τα λοίπα. Δελφοί ήταν πλουσιά ... αλλά εγώ έχω ένα τεληοράση και κομπιούτερ και ηλεκτρικη κουςίνα. Και πρασινό στυλό. Η Πύθια δεν ειχα.

----------

I have now finished the book "Latin works made easy for the students". In fact I read the last part in the bus (instead of the usual Icelandic book by Guðmundsson) AND I read it without a dictionary. Most of the last part consists of tales by Kaiser von Hesterbac (1180-1240). He is as pious and gullible as his contemporaries, but also a fine writer with a lively style, which even I can appreciate without having to solve a rebus for each sentence. He writes about a student who was snatched by the demon while practising black magic - but his teacher got him back. About a lost ring that turned up in a fish. About a money-eating loan-shark who goes to Hell (where he can see forward to having lots of fresh new company in the form of all those financial whizzkids who are responsible for the current financial crisis). And about the wife of Heinrich de Wida, who was the innocent victim of a nasty demonstration of applied psychology. Practical joker Henry suggested to his wife that she probably couldn't resist jumping barefooted right from her bath into a smelly and polluted swamp. And now she couldn't stop thinking about that suggestion, so one day... And nasty old Henry immediately came running and taunted her (and won his bet against the emperor). Today the result would probably have been a divorce, and she would have gallopped away with half of his castles, the jester, the gardener and the old man's BMW horse cart.

In the Russian section I mention some activites from Monday evening: I made some ordinary word lists, and afterwards several lists of 'word families' based on some of the most common verbs. At the end of that section I point out that the soul and heart of the Russian language isn't poetry, prose, Pushkin, the speeches of Mr. Putin or folk tales or anything like that - no, it is the ubiquitous use of verbal prefixes and other word derivation techniques.

And finally in the Greek section I mention that I have reached room 5 in the local museum in my book about Delfi.. Here you find a big bull made of silverplating on a wooden frame, statues of gold and ivory and an ivory head plus lots of other precious objects. Yes, Delfi was rich - but I have a TV set and a computer and an electrified kitchen. I even have a ball pen that can write in green letters! Pythia never got one of those, instead she probably got a headache sniffing all those poisonous fumes. The old lady was a professional drug addict surrounded by spin doctors and by the Greek version of CIA.

Edited by Iversen on 10 December 2008 at 5:25am

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5627 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 55 of 3959
09 December 2008 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
I couldn't have studied any subject at university based on mathematics, because I am definitly not talented for mathematics. So everything I read about astronomy has to be on a popular science level without any mathematics involved. I am an exeption in my astronomy club not being mathematically orientated.

I do have talent for languages, but neither my parents nor my teachers at school were able to discover it, so I myself didn't know about it. At the age of 25 being an university student my language talent was discoverd, in a situation when my university study already was in the process of failing. So I had doubts whether I could ever make anything of my language talent. But I had the wish to develop it. I finally took the descision to do life-long language learning and just see, what can be achieved by it. So I am still in this language-learning process, as I have been for years and years.

We have already had some multilingual discussions, so you could see my language levels.

The Dutch language plays an ecceptional role, because I live close to the Netherlands and I use Dutch as a professional language to earn my living. All my work is in Dutch.

All the other languages I have learned:

- without having any possibility to travel to foreign countries
(For example I have never been to Spain or Italy to speak the language there.)

- without having lived in other countries than Germany (Only in my childhood I lived for two years in the United States.)

- without any native speaker contact here in Germany. I do regular language conversation with German people!!!

So you as a travel expert can see that my conditions of achieving high language levels are less favourable. I have to compensate this by a lot of self-made language immerson and hard work on my languages.

But as you can see: It works!!!

I am looking forward to more multilingual exchanges in your log!

Fasulye-Babylonia

Edited by Fasulye on 09 December 2008 at 11:28pm

Jar-ptitsa
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5678 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 
Speaks: French*, Dutch, German

Message 56 of 3959
10 December 2008 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Fasulye: 'Idiosyncrasie' is a perfectly French word, while "idiosyncratique' probably should be seen as my own unintended gift to the Francophone language community - divine all-powerful Académie Française beware, you have an alien impostor at your front door who just assumes that you can make derivations out of any French (Greek) word to your heart's delight.

LOL!!! the Académie can shut up, such pompous stupid people Hahahaha. anyway, you are almost correct: in French this word is "idiosyncrasique"

Quote:
To Jar-Ptitsa: I agree with your last post. By the way, your own avatar name reminds me of a classical piece of music, namely the Firebird (Жар-птица) of Stravinsky, and the legend behind the music would probably not have been known by anybody outside Russia if he and choreographer Diaghilev hadn't made a full-blown ballet out of it. I'am sure that you know this, but do you like his music?

I love music, it's absolutely my favourite thing. I like diverse genres, but in general sad music and songs are more beautiful, for example the slow movements of piano concertos or symphonys but not the fast ones. I like very much Mozart, Chopin piano concertos but I don't like Mozart's'operas what are absolutely annoying, Brahms symphonys are beautiful, Puccini arias also for example from Butterfly, Tosca, I like some songs of Strauß (Richard, not Johann, I hate johann Strauß' music) and some of Mahler for example Ariadne auf Naxos (Strauß) and Lieder of Mahler and certain things of Wagner. Also I like very much some baroque music such as JS Bach double violin concerto, and Renaissance choral music I love. Russian music I liked very much, for example I listned many times the slow movement of Shostakovitch 5 symphony, but now I find it too dramatic and i don't like it. He wrote too much about the war, but of course this was his live. Sometimes I like Stravinsky and prokofiev as well, but it depend of my feeling.

I didn't chose this nick because of Stravinsky's music, although I knew this ballet and suite, but because of the Firebird. Sênmurw's also mythologic phoenix, but persian not Russian. This is because it's a mistake that I'm a girl (human) in this live because my soul is of a bird (probably phoenix, but possibly eagle) because e.g. I can remember me when I've flown and look down during the flying. Birds can know much more that the humans, for example, if one bird learns a thing, all the birds will learn it as well because this knowledge is immediately (or very soonly) in their thoughts as well becasue they've the ability to put their thoughts in the other birds' ones, but not nasty things or stealing them. Humans haven't this communication, therefore they don't believe it. In my next live I will be phoenix or eagle.

This discussion contains 3959 messages over 495 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version