Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Dutch profile

Tags: Dutch
 Language Learning Forum : Collaborative writing (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
40 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 35  Next >>
sayariza
Triglot
Groupie
Indonesia
Joined 6556 days ago

42 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: Malay, Indonesian*, DutchC1
Studies: EnglishC2

Message 25 of 40
23 May 2006 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
actually it is very difficult or almost impossible to find people in Indonesia who can speak Dutch,,,

even under Dutch colonialism most Indonesians never spoke Ducth daily because the language policy of Dutch colonial, they allowed only royal family and christians to take school. (so if you were poor it was impossible to go to school, if you are non christian you should be very rich to be allowed to go to school) that was a reality.
There were many school built by islamic or nationalist bumiputera (indonesian) but all of those used only Indonesian as main language. All of those school were self funded.

Dutch was just one subject at school besides Arab or mandarin.

even in the society Indonesian was already used by most Indonesian to communicate each other with people from differnt background (there almost 400 languages in Indonesia (200 language but one language has sometime many variations)

1 person has voted this message useful

Gilgamesh
Tetraglot
England
Joined 6035 days ago

452 posts - 468 votes 
14 sounds
Speaks: Dutch, English, German, French
Studies: Polish

Message 26 of 40
12 February 2008 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
M-Squared wrote:

Speakers: 17 million claim it to be their mother tongue and another
4 million claim to use it as their second language.

The "r" is also rolled by the tongue

Firstly:
In the Netherlands alone, there are about 17 million speakers of Dutch. Plus 6 million from Flanders, as well as about 1.5 million from Surinam. Which adds up to about 24 million native speakers of Dutch.

Secondly:
The Dutch 'r' isn't necessarily always rolled...

Edited by Gilgamesh on 02 March 2008 at 5:27am

Palmettofighter
United States
Joined 5925 days ago

29 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 27 of 40
01 March 2008 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
orion wrote:
The only course I have looked at is Teach Yourself Dutch.

I started this 2 weeks ago and I am already having conversations with my Dutch clan in Guild wars (an online game) without having to really look back at anything. I think this is one of the best courses. Of course I speak German and English so you might be in a different situation.

Palmettofighter
United States
Joined 5925 days ago

29 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 28 of 40
01 March 2008 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
FuroraCeltica wrote:
I'd also like to recommend "Teach Yourself Dutch" as a learning resource. Its a little basic, but will give you a good introduction to Dutch. The only problem is the speakers don't seem to pronounce words that end in the letter 'n'. For example, on the tape whenever a word ends in 'n', they dont pronounce it e.g. "binne(n)". Is this due to a regional difference?

Ive noticed that as well, I know that is different from German, but I just assumed thats how Dutch was read. The Norwegian course of the same brand is also pretty good.

Eduard
Decaglot
Norway
Joined 5818 days ago

166 posts - 170 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Dutch*, NorwegianC1, Swedish, Danish, English, German, ItalianB1, Spanish, Serbo-Croatian, French
Studies: Portuguese

Message 29 of 40
01 June 2008 at 7:17am | IP Logged 
Interesting to see how non-Dutch speakers reflect on my mother tongue. And, frankly, I can understand that many people may not find our language very sensual. Whenever people abroad find out that I am Dutch, they're more than willing to share their knowledge of this language, usually by uttering many gurgling sounds. But it must be said that this isn't pronounced all over the country. The southern region of the Netherlands, as well as most of Flanders don't use this harsh sound, and one may even want to soften it down even when coming from elsewhere. Several dialects (including the official language Frisian) turn the 'g' or 'ch' sound into a 'k', especially with word beginnings it has in common with Scandinavian and English 'sk~' words.

I don't know about the chick magnet thing, but if you come from abroad and speak Dutch, odds are you may get a lot of attention from indigenous 'chicks'!

Cerinety
Diglot
Netherlands
cerinety.deviantart.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5793 days ago

11 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English, Dutch*
Studies: Japanese

Message 30 of 40
23 June 2008 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
Its also spoken in Suriname and Africa....
But why so negative about Dutch. People learn it because they like it, and should mind it not being spoken that much. Im learning japanese, and thats also only spoken in japan and by some random japanese across the world. Who cares about this.

About the 'r' there are more than enough full Dutch people that cant role the R. My mom isnt able to do it either. So noone cares about that.

And to Eduard. Noone turns a g and ch into a k. So forget that fact, we do use a soft version of the sound G (pronouncation g and ch are exactly the same). But k and g-sound are veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery different in our language.
Go here to hear the sounds: http://homepage.mac.com/schuffelen/dupron.html
2 persons have voted this message useful

Eduard
Decaglot
Norway
Joined 5818 days ago

166 posts - 170 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Dutch*, NorwegianC1, Swedish, Danish, English, German, ItalianB1, Spanish, Serbo-Croatian, French
Studies: Portuguese

Message 31 of 40
24 June 2008 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
True about the 'r'. I know someone from Frysia who learnt Finnish, which requires a rolling r, a sound she can't pronounce. And when speaking Finnish in Finland she usually gets some funny looks, unlike in the Netherlands.

About the g/ch to k sounds, this is not common in Standard Dutch, but it does occur in regional dialects and languages. A word like 'school' can turn into something like 'skoal' in the northeast, snd there are other 'sch' combinations that occur as 'sk' instead. Anyway, if you'd run into anyone talking this way, you may politely ask them to switch to Standard Dutch and they will likely pronounce these words as it is done in the rest of the Dutch language area, with our nice, gutteral 'g' :).

I may have mentioned it before, but for hearing Dutch, check the Astra 1 television channel BVN.tv or watch Dutch television programmes on www.uitzendinggemist.nl .

Gilgamesh
Tetraglot
England
Joined 6035 days ago

452 posts - 468 votes 
14 sounds
Speaks: Dutch, English, German, French
Studies: Polish

Message 32 of 40
24 June 2008 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
Eduard wrote:

About the g/ch to k sounds, this is not common in Standard Dutch, but it does occur in regional dialects and languages. A word like 'school' can turn into something like 'skoal' in the northeast

I have spent 8,5 years of my life in the northeast and I have never ever heard people say 'k' instead of 'g'.

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version