Triglot
Germany
Joined 6601 days ago

487 posts - 531 votes 
Speaks: German, Turkish*, English
Studies: Serbo-Croatian, Spanish

Message 9 of 24
10 October 2008 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Daristani kardeşim, the only possible thing I can do is agree with you. You are right in about 99% of what you just wrote. And don't worry about the lenght of your posts, I have always enjoyed reading them!
The only thing I might not agree on is that you say Turkology in Turkey is kind of nationalistic leaning. I'd say that most people who do decide to study Turkology are rather more patriotic.
Could you please explain me one thing. I don't want to get off-topic here, but this seems very interesting to me. The few Azeris and Turkmen I know here (and one Uyghur I got to know from msn) did give me the impression (and some really did say it) that they do not take any offense by the terms "Azeri Türkcesi" or "Türkmen Türkcesi" or "Uygur Türkcesi", moreover they themselves agreed on this dialect theory. Where did you get your impression from?

Selamlar ve saygilar,
Ilhan
1 person has voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6924 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 10 of 24
10 October 2008 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
Hi, Ilhan,

I'm glad you didn't take offense; indeed, I think we are largely in agreement in terms of the purely language-related aspects of things, and suspect that even if we don't end up necessarily seeing eye-to-eye completely on all the other aspects, it'll all fall into the category of where friends can "agree to disagree".

But since the subject matter is moving away a bit from language into politics, and may not be of much interest to others on a language-learning forum, I'll send you a PM in the next day or so with some more comments, hopefully with a reference or two if I can dig them up. That way, if I get too loquacious, I won't fill up the board with verbiage, and the forum can get back to focusing on language.

Over and out for the time being.

Stain
United States
Joined 5672 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 11 of 24
10 October 2008 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
To elaborate, my reason for wanting to specifically learn Azeri is that my mother and her side of the family are all from Azerbaijan, and there seems to be talk of a visit to Baku at some time within the next 18 months.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6219 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 12 of 24
11 October 2008 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
Stain wrote:
To elaborate, my reason for wanting to specifically learn Azeri is that my mother and her side of the family are all from Azerbaijan, and there seems to be talk of a visit to Baku at some time within the next 18 months.

Thanks for saying; that makes things much more clear. In that case, definitely skip Turkish and go straight for Azeri.

Depending on what your goals are, different study plans make sense. At a minimum, you should learn some phrases; at a maximum, you'd want to set up an immersion environment.

Googling for Azeri phrases turns up quite a few sites, including youtube videos. If you go this route early on, make sure you use phrases with audio.

Also, exposure to native material should help you a lot. Fortunately, there are quite a few online Azeri radio stations (and more radio stations). BBC's Azerbaijan profile also gives links to some online TV stations and newspapers.

UCLA also has a list of Azeri materials, including 46 'teaching materials'. This includes a 'Colloquial Azeri' course, and a 'Teach yourself Azeri' course; I'm not entirely sure on if those are part of the 'Colloquial' and 'Teach yourself' series or not.

Basically, it looks like Azeri is a little short on traditional learning material (but not entirely devoid of it); there's plenty of material overall, though. You'll probably need a bit of creativity to learn it, but it looks doable!

2 persons have voted this message useful

Stain
United States
Joined 5672 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 13 of 24
11 October 2008 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
Thank you so much, there's no way I would have found this on my own.

Also much thanks to daristani and ilhan for some interesting insight on the differences between Azeri and Turkish!

Edited by Stain on 11 October 2008 at 1:01pm

mas_emr2003
Iran
yashar3263.blogfa.co
Joined 5668 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 14 of 24
11 October 2008 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 

Hi everyone
(zan ederim cok gecdir)

I'm a Turk from east of Iran (Mashhad- close to Afghanistan border). We speak a Turkic Lang. between Uygur and Azeri. I interested in Turkish because of its analogy with my mother tongue. First, I was very interested in Turkish Music (Songs) and started extending my vocabulary domain (Persian takes the place of many ancient Turk words) through English. also found out what changes have happened. also mastered what grammar rules that faded out.
When my family hear a Turkish sentence they comprehend a few word (a third of all). yet when I break the sentence apart with analytic view point they take it all (in second time).
other important note is pronunciation; when I ask my Persian friends pronounce the word güzel "nice" they just can say gozal , I simply laugh at them. such pronunciations are exactly same in the region Turkic people (stretched from Cen. Asia to Turkey), and hard to pronounce for Indo-European speakers.
Just, I suggest, for a Prolonged course its good to begin with Turkish.
Best wishes

JamesBates
Bilingual Triglot
Pakistan
Joined 5970 days ago

27 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*, Hindi*, Arabic (Written)
Studies: Persian, German

Message 15 of 24
10 December 2008 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
I met an Azerbaijani today and he told me that thanks to Turkish movies he could understand Turkish perfectly, even though he'd never been to Turkey in his life. Does anybody know if Turkish movies are popular in Azerbaijan and the other Turkic-speaking countries and, if so, whether they're dubbed or not?

!LH@N
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6601 days ago

487 posts - 531 votes 
Speaks: German, Turkish*, English
Studies: Serbo-Croatian, Spanish

Message 16 of 24
10 December 2008 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
As far as I know they are not dubbed. There are just a few shows on Turkish TV from Azerbaijan and those are not dubbed neither.

Regards,
Ilhan

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version