Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 33 of 80
31 August 2010 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
I would like to introduce Torbyrne's newest You Tube video with the title:

"Easy and hard languages & the British Foreign Office"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwhAKfM-Jo8

It's spoken in English with English subtitles and it's about categorizing languages seen from native speakers of English. For me this video gives interesting information.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 30 August 2011 at 12:13pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5642 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 34 of 80
02 April 2011 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
Let me introduce to you Torbyrne's latest video in which he speaks about learning Welsh as a foreign language and presents the BBC resources of Welsh. In this videos he also speaks some words of Welsh so I have got a very faint idea how Welsh sounds.

You Tube video: Torbyrne speaks about Welsh resources

BBC website: Learn Welsh

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 02 April 2011 at 11:30am

Kinan
Diglot
Syrian Arab Republic
Joined 5361 days ago

234 posts - 279 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, English
Studies: Russian, Spanish

Message 35 of 80
02 April 2011 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
bluecollar wrote:
All of the languages he speaks are European.I will be more impressed if he can speak some non-European languages.

I don't think he does this to impress or shock or awe you.

Why did he post in youtube then?!!!!!

Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5890 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 37 of 80
05 April 2011 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
Kinan wrote:
Volte wrote:
bluecollar wrote:
All of the languages he speaks are European.I will be more impressed if he can speak some non-European languages.

I don't think he does this to impress or shock or awe you.

Why did he post in youtube then?!!!!!

I thought I would copy and paste here something I wrote elsewhere on the forum, so you can read my motivations for creating a YouTube channel and posting videos:

From Robert from Austria on YouTube

"My own motivations were:

1. To encourage other people learning or wishing to learn multiple foreign languages (as I wrote in the role models thread).
2. To get in contact with other polyglots in a bid to start polyglot-skyping and share experiences.
3. To provide a demonstration of me saying something in a range of languages I speak at different levels. Why? Throughout my life people have asked me to do this in person. It therefore seemed logical that this sort of video would appeal to people wishing to see something that relatively few people in the world do (that is to say, learn multiple languages).    

Doing this for simple praise or to show off would be fairly pointless and shallow. It is, of course, nice to receive the many lovely comments people take their time to send me. I feel truly flattered by those.     

There are also a fair amount of negative criticisms too. Many negative comments are impossible to address. Besides, pleasing everyone is neither a realistic goal nor is it a productive use of one’s time and energy. Some comments require a thick skin and others provide a nice bite of reality to keep one grounded.

Perhaps there are individuals who create multilingual videos to get a short buzz out of the attention from unknown people over the Internet. Personally I cannot relate to that and I am not inclined to comment on such things as it is irrelevant to me.

My own contentment about what I am doing with languages is the most gratifying. Having conversations with speakers of various tongues in their own language is exhilarating for me. There is the thrill of the chase in attaining fluency, using a language with native speakers and expressing thoughts and ideas in that language. That is the reason why point 2 on my list is the main personal buzz and motivation for me too."

I would also like to copy and paste the description of the 16-language video I put up:

"This is a video with me speaking some of the languages I have studied over the years with captions in English. In this video I speak English, French, Spanish, Welsh, German, Macedonian, Swedish, Italian, Serbian/Bosnian/Croatian, Portuguese, Czech, Catalan, Russian, Dutch, Romanian and Albanian. I hope you enjoy it."

I have answered some questions regarding fluency and non-European languages previously elsewhere, and it might be useful to state it here also.

I have studied other languages besides the ones mentioned. I do not claim to be fluent in all of the languages in the video. In fact I purposely took some languages at a lower level to show a range. Polyglots have to start somewhere too! ;)

At the moment I am studying Mandarin every day (and I will update on that separately). I learn languages to the level I need them for work/social reasons and I also consider what I can realistically sustain in the long-term.

I am Brit living in Macedonia. Presumably I will take Turkish to a higher level at some point as I can use it here, but I have no need for many languages outside the IE family. At the moment my need or work and life in general require me to speak IE languages for the most part.

My motto for languages is: If you don't use it, you're going to lose it! :D

Learning languages takes a long time and is a labour of love, so I am not going to invest my time and energy into learning languages I could not possibly hope to maintain or use to my satisfaction.

Edited by Torbyrne on 05 April 2011 at 1:49pm

21 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5642 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 38 of 80
30 August 2011 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
Torbyrne has spent a month in Poland speaking Polish there. More infos about his experiences there he gives in his newest You Tube - videos. Both videos are not spoken in English but he uses subtitles in English.

1. In Spanish: Torbyrne habla de la Polonia en español

2. In Dutch: Torbyrne spreekt over Polen in het Nederlands

Enjoy!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 31 August 2011 at 8:40am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5642 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 39 of 80
12 December 2011 at 6:12am | IP Logged 
Bonan sxancon por via Turka ekzameno! (Esperanto)

Türk sınavin için başarılar dilerim! (Türkçe)

Succes with your Turkish exam! (English)

Fasulye

2 persons have voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5523 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 40 of 80
03 April 2012 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
Steve Kaufman posted this interview with Richard today on his channel.

I hope you find it interesting.

LINK

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 80 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version