CycleRR
United States
Joined 5659 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 8
01 October 2008 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
I've been reading a lot on this site and it's forum. But I haven't seen anybody mention a comic book.
Would reading a comic book in another language be a good idea?
I'm no comic book expert or anything, but don't they use relatively basic language, and following the pictures also might be useful in learning.
The comics I'm thinking wouldn't be about chemistry or physics or any difficult subject like that. Rather they'd be more along the lines of good guy vs. bad guy
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6199 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 8
01 October 2008 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
1) Some people use comic books for learning. Look up "alljapaneseallthetime.com", "Japanese the Manga way", etc, if you want examples.

2) The level of language used in comics varies; some are harder than others. Perhaps the biggest thing to watch out for is heavy use of regionalisms and slang; textbooks and dictionaries usually don't help much with that.

3) Chemistry/physics ones would probably be easier, because of shared vocabulary, assuming you knew the terms in English.

It's probably worth a try if you like comics in English.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6032 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 3 of 8
02 October 2008 at 6:59am | IP Logged 
Comic books/graphic novels are actually a good method. I used a German version of one of the Asterix series at school, and later on, the rather wide range of Francophone graphic novels was helpful to me when studying French. Relatively basic, colloquial language and visual stimulation from the pictures make these things good learning materials.

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5754 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 4 of 8
02 October 2008 at 7:12am | IP Logged 
There's heaps of French ones out there, and I mean heaps. If it is your thing it isn't going to hurt you if you use them, but only to supplement that which you are already using.

Asterix is just cool, regardless of the language. But all in all, comics/manga etc aren't my thing, there are more words in books, the scenes are described in the target language, instead of illustrated.

Long live the book.

Thom.

bushwick
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 6004 days ago

407 posts - 443 votes 
Speaks: German, Croatian*, English, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 5 of 8
02 October 2008 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
moebius is pretty neat for a beginner of french, a lot of his comics tend not to use a lot of language helping you to understand situations out of context.

plus the art is fabulous so thats another plus.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5771 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 6 of 8
05 October 2008 at 6:18am | IP Logged 
I found them very useful once I'd reached a reasonable level of grammar. I learnt a lot of slang from my brother's French DragonBall collection. Mostly insults, but I found that the lack of complex descriptions allowed me to rattle through quicker and with more confidence.

That said, when I did read a proper novel I found it far more engrossing and it gave me a far greater sense of achievement. But back on the plus side for comics, descriptive prose is fairly artificial anyway and doesn't model natural speech, so you're not missing anything particularly important.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6032 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 7 of 8
05 October 2008 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
I have learned a fair amount of French slang and even obscenities from graphic novels.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4895 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 8 of 8
03 September 2017 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
1) Some people use comic books for learning. Look up "alljapaneseallthetime.com", "Japanese the Manga way", etc, if you want examples.

I use www.jcafe24.net . They have plenty of raw manga.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version