Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6224 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 1 of 7
30 September 2008 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
As of this evening, I've finally had a chance to try to order books from Dunwoody press. I selected two books and the audio that corresponds to one of them. However, the shipping cost appears obscene to me: 'UPS worldwide expedited', the cheapest option, is more than $110. I realize I'm in Switzerland, but this is way higher than the shipping costs I'm accustomed to from amazon.com and similar sites.

Has anyone else on this site ordered from Dunwoody press? Were the shipping costs similarly high? Does anyone have any idea why?

1 person has voted this message useful

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6231 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 2 of 7
30 September 2008 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
It has to do with the fact that they're forcing you to use UPS, which has extremely expensive international rates; they (Dunwoody Press) aren't overcharging you. I made a bogus shipping quote from the United States to Switzerland at UPS.com, and for a 1 lb. package, the cheapest option was $90.

I made an account there, and being in the United States, I can have a book shipped to me for $2.23, via USPS media mail. Furthermore, via the USPS, I can ship a 1 lb. package* to Switzerland for around $10. I'd be willing to help you get what you're after without paying $100+ in shipping, but obviously, that comes down to whether or not you trust me. :) If you'd like to talk to me about it, toss me a PM.

* There are a few other stipulations regarding the shipping cost via USPS international. Namely, the box has to meet these requirements:
Maximum length: 24 inches
Maximum length, + height, + thickness combined: 36 inches

Edit: Even Priority Mail International, which takes 6-10 days for delivery, is only $24. UPS international shipping is, relatively speaking, highway robbery.

Edited by josht on 30 September 2008 at 4:52pm

daristani
United States
Joined 6929 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 3 of 7
30 September 2008 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
I've ordered from Dunwoody Press a number of times; each time, the items came very quickly, via priority US Mail, as I recall. (I live in the States.)

I can't comment on the costs of the shipping to Switzerland or why they're so high. As you know, Dunwoody's books are generally quite expensive, but I have to say that their physical quality (good paper, and TRUE hard-as-rock hardcover bindings) is generally superb, based on the dozen or so of their books I've bought over the years.

Also, in my experience, Dunwoody ships out the books immediately upon receipt of the order. I can't seem to get their website ordering system to work, and so my recent orders have all been via e-mail. If they haven't already shipped the stuff, you might ask them in an e-mail message to use the USPS.   At any rate, good luck.

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7006 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 4 of 7
30 September 2008 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
I emailed Dunwoody Press before, twice regarding UPS and to use USPS instead. No reply, so luckily I have family in the U.S. and had the products shipped there instead, because it is free shipping for domestic addresses. The big nightmare is UPS has a brokerage fee when it crosses the border. (Personally experienced this.) I have heard of some stories of the fee excessively more than the actual product. This is on top of the international shipping fee.

My recommendation is to avoid UPS, if there are other options.

Edited by alang on 30 September 2008 at 11:02pm

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6224 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 5 of 7
01 October 2008 at 4:20am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the replies.

The books themselves are expensive, but I accept that: they're high-quality and have a limited market. It just hurts to think of paying an equal amount in shipping. Fortunately, I have family in the States as well, and will probably visit them in December, so I guess I'll go that route.

crafedog
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5603 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Tok Pisin, French

Message 6 of 7
18 September 2011 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
Though this is an old post, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been utterly shocked by
the prices of shipping from Dunwoody press. They're atrocious.
2 persons have voted this message useful

GeddyMX
United States
Joined 4744 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 7 of 7
26 October 2012 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
I'm not affliated with them but just wanted to vouch for the company. Last year in the 'ghan my $150 order got lost in the military postal system, I contacted them and they resent it at no extra charge. The materials for Dari and Pashto are unmatched.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version