Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

What are your thoughts on the Multingual Lounge?

Language Learning Forum : Multilingual Lounge Post Reply
17 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5881 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 1 of 17
02 May 2008 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
I am interested to know your thoughts on this part of the forum. Are there changes that should be made to make the Multilingual Lounge better? Questions you have about posting here? Questions about writing foreign language posts, accents and foreign characters, foreign language spell check, grammar check, verb conjugation checkers, etc? Any other questions or comments?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 17
03 May 2008 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
I think it is an interesting experiment to make specialized threads instead of (or as a supplement to) the usual all-in-one megathreads, - it would make it much easier to get an idea about what is discussed here. In the 'envelope threads' even the most interesting subjects get buried beneath layers of irrelevant material and unless you read those threads from A to Z you haven't got a clue to what is there. Of course the number of threads would explode if every language had as many threads as English, but I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future.

I remember that we have had some discussions about subjects that really only can be relevant for people that already to some extent know a certain language - for instance those on the Italian dialects - and it would be quite logical to conduct those discussions entirely in the relevant language(s) instead of in English.

Edited by Iversen on 03 May 2008 at 8:31am

1 person has voted this message useful

'
Bilingual Diglot
Australia
Joined 5699 days ago

120 posts - 120 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian*

Message 4 of 17
25 August 2008 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
Also, if we could have 1 thread to a language and not 6, that would be lovely. On the XKCD forum, I made a sticky which adds links to all the language threads as they arrise so that it's a one stop shop to quickly search for, find, suggest, and find speakers of various languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6195 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 17
25 August 2008 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
I think it'll be really amazing if we could have separate threads for people who are still learning the language, and people who have achieved even the basic fluency, especially for the popular languages. More proficient learners tend to have debates and discussions about less earthly stuff, and as much as I understand the subject matter, it can be sometimes really difficult for me to actually write something of substance to add to the discussion in my target language.
8 persons have voted this message useful

gobbledigook
Diglot
Groupie
Mexico
Joined 5727 days ago

80 posts - 83 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Italian, Portuguese, French

Message 6 of 17
25 August 2008 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
I love this part of the forum (it's my favorite) as it is here where I can practice my target language and get feedback and proper corrections to my mistakes.
The rest of the "rooms" are full of English threads and (while interesting) it distracts me a lot from my goal.

I support the idea of having three threads for at least each of the major languages,

a) Beginner- for general questions regarding any specific language
b) Intermediate- for more complex questions, some conversation, but still corrected.
c) Advanced- for fluent speakers just to practice by using normal conversations. No corrections expected from here.

That's my two cents.
4 persons have voted this message useful

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5881 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 7 of 17
25 August 2008 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
gobbledigook wrote:
I love this part of the forum (it's my favorite) as it is here where I can practice my target language and get feedback and proper corrections to my mistakes.
The rest of the "rooms" are full of English threads and (while interesting) it distracts me a lot from my goal.

I totally agree. To learn a language, you have to use it as much as possible. This part of the forum presents a very unique opportunity to do this and interact with native/advanced speakers of your target language. What better way is there to learn to read and write a language?

gobbledigook wrote:
I support the idea of having three threads for at least each of the major languages,

a) Beginner- for general questions regarding any specific language
b) Intermediate- for more complex questions, some conversation, but still corrected.
c) Advanced- for fluent speakers just to practice by using normal conversations. No corrections expected from here.

That's my two cents.

Anyone can start new threads for Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced in any language. Go for it, Vaya con Dios ;) I think it is a good idea as people are likely a little hesitant to post in a thread at the Beginner and Early Intermediate levels…

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version