Pro Member
Canada
Joined 6837 days ago

118 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch, French
Personal Language Map

Message 33 of 43
06 May 2008 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
Is the use of pure vowel sounds something that distinguishes European accents? My wife is from the Netherlands, and she has expressed to me that she would like to speak with the local accent when speaking English. I would like to help her, but it's a bit tricky to figure out exactly what to tell her to listen for. Since she's been here a long time, all the basic things (vocabulary, grammar, local idioms) are there, but there are still differences between she speaks and the way the locals speak. I think there are still vowel differences, but I find it difficult to pick out exactly what the differences are on the fly.

She has noted a similar difficulty in telling me what sounds are different when I speak Dutch. She tells me I speak with an English accent, but can't quite pin down the difference.

Anyway, I find this whole discussion very interesting.

1 person has voted this message useful

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6164 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 34 of 43
06 May 2008 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
Well, what normally gives the Dutch accent away when speaking English, is, strangely enough, the pronounciation of the 's'!

LanguageGeek
Triglot
GermanyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5898 days ago

151 posts - 159 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: German*, English, Hungarian
Studies: French, Russian

Message 35 of 43
06 May 2008 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
Some previous posters mentioned the possible drawbacks of a too native like accent. Let me pitch in from my vantage point. I consider my Hungarian pronunciation somewhere in the range of 7-8 on the Professors scale. This is as good as I would like it to be, maybe already a tad bit too much. There are a number of reasons for this:

- Hungarians aren't used to meeting foreigners speaking their language
- They might assume I am a native from a Hungarian speaking region outside of Hungary ( of which there are many )
- I will inevitably make mistakes in grammar, style and composition

This may lead them to think I am somehow speech-impaired, if not mightly retarded, but otherwise a native speaker.Politeness and prudency would have it that they won't point this out. So in order to avoid all those arkward contingencies I need to be upfront each time I meet a Hungarian and introduce myself as a German. In this case it is better to betray myself by a well groomed German accent, don't you think so?

I don't have these scruples when it comes to English. I have been taken for a native speaker in Skypecasts before ( these are voice chat rooms, a little know feature of Skype which is a great learning tool)

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6164 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 36 of 43
06 May 2008 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
yeah, English speakers are pretty stupid, so if you make grammatical mistakes you'll fit right in... :))

tpark
Tetraglot
Pro Member
Canada
Joined 6837 days ago

118 posts - 127 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 37 of 43
08 May 2008 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
Budz wrote:
Well, what normally gives the Dutch accent away when speaking English, is, strangely enough, the pronounciation of the 's'!

In what manner is the Dutch s different from that of the English s? Is it a bit softer sounding?

Thanks,

--Ted.

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6164 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 

Message 38 of 43
08 May 2008 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
I think it has a touch of 'sh' in it...

tpark
Tetraglot
Pro Member
Canada
Joined 6837 days ago

118 posts - 127 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 39 of 43
14 May 2008 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the info. In this case, the "s" sound my wife uses sounds OK to me.

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5503 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Hindi

Message 40 of 43
09 April 2009 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
LanguageGeek wrote:

This may lead them to think I am somehow speech-impaired, if not mightly retarded, but otherwise a native speaker.Politeness and prudency would have it that they won't point this out.

'LanguageGeek,'

While I can't rate your accent over the computer, it would probably be a bit offensive to most Englishspeakers to hear 'retarded' used as an adjective in this case. The choice of words must be chosen wisely no matter what the accent! ;)

- JMR

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version