Italy
danielfavento.it
Joined 5371 days ago

22 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Romanian

Message 1 of 9
06 September 2009 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
wel.. I've not found an English thread, yet..
but it's the language I have to practice most..
I start introducing myself..
huh! before I forget: I'd be very grateful to be correct, for I know I'll make a lot of mistakes..
I was saying.. Let's introduce myself!!
I'm Daniel, born in Triest (north-east of Italy), 22 and as you can guess.. I'm a languages lover! I discovered it when I had my first experience as tourist-animator (do you say this word?) in Ibiza.. It was thrilling! First because I simply adore Spain and what concerns with it, especially the language.. Second because I love working with and among lots of people, and all know what kind of work animation is :P!! Then because, as I said, I love speaking foreign languages.. At work I had to speak English a lot, because my colleagues came from several countrys, such as Slovakia, Polonia, France, Holland, Germany, England, Austria and Italy of course :). All meetings were English spoken, and my English improved a lot.. (I was the worst in my English class!) Then of course I learned a little bit Spanish: I say a little bit because Spanish clients were fews.. but I could speak with the lifeguards and the waiters, and so I began speaking Spanish too.. But I've not spoken it for ages, so I've forgotten a lot of things :( But I'm sure that when I begin to revise it I'll remember a lot, also because I'm helped by my Italian nativity!!
Then I had to speak a lot German, too, because German clients were many! I studied German at school, for 8 years.. But unfortunately it's a long time I don't have opportunities to improve it..
At the end I learned a very little bit of Slovakian, because a slovakian friend of mine taught it to me.. But I can say I've quite forgotten it!!

Ok.. Maybe I've written too much.. Sorry I was too involved :)
Waiting for corrections :))) but not only corrections, also your experiences or anything you want to share in this new thread!

thanks in anticipation :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6248 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 9
06 September 2009 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
Correction

"well.. I've not found an English thread, yet..
I start introducing myself..
huh! before I forget: I'd be very grateful to be corrected, for I know I'll make a lot of mistakes..
I was saying.. Let's introduce myself!!
I'm Daniel, born in Triest (north-east of Italy), 22 and as you can guess.. I'm a language(no s) lover! I discovered it when I had my first experience as tourist-animator (do you say this word?) in Ibiza.. It was thrilling!

First because I simply adore Spain and what concerns with it(it's not grammatically wrong, but I wouldn't use that expression, it sounds too formal), especially the language.. Second because I love working with and among lots of people, and all people (or everyone) know what kind of work animation is :P!!

Then because, as I said, I love speaking foreign languages.. (I don't think then is the right word there, maybe "for"?) At work I had to speak English a lot, because my colleagues came from several countrys, such as Slovakia, Polonia, France, Holland, Germany, England, Austria and Italy of course :). All meetings were English spoken, (better expression is "in English") and my English improved a lot.. (I was the worst in my English class!) Then of course I learned a little bit Spanish: I say a little bit because there were few Spanish clients (this just sounds more English).. but I could speak with the lifeguards and the waiters, and so I began speaking Spanish too.. But I've not spoken it for ages, so I've forgotten a lot of things :( But I'm sure that when I begin to revise it I'll remember a lot, also because I'm helped by my Italian nativity!! (This passive expression sounds funny, I'd say "because my native Italian helps Spanish" or something)
Then I had to speak a lotof German, too, because there were many German clients! I studied German at school for 8 years.. But unfortunately I didn't have opportunities to improve it for a long time..
At the end I learned a very little bit of Slovakian, because a Slovakian friend of mine taught {no need to pu "it to") me.. But I can say I've quite forgotten it!!

Ok.. Maybe I've written too much.. Sorry I was too involved :)
Waiting for corrections :))) but not only corrections, also your experiences or anything you want to share in this new thread!

thanks in anticipation :)"

------------------------------------------------------------ ---

Hmm... I'm not a native English speaker, but having learnt the language for 12 years, and having attended an international school, I hope my correction does not have many errors. English is a crazy language.. Good luck with it.. :)

By the way.. what languages are you learning at the moment other than English? You said you forgot a lot of Spanish, German and Slovakian.. so which one are you studying now?

Edited by Jiwon on 06 September 2009 at 5:12pm

daniel-italia
Diglot
Italy
danielfavento.it
Joined 5371 days ago

22 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Romanian

Message 3 of 9
06 September 2009 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
Jiwon wrote:

By the way.. what languages are you learning at the moment other than English? You said you forgot a lot of Spanish, German and Slovakian.. so which one are you studying now?

I've written I'm a language lover.. but I have also a bigger passion:
musical theater.. I'm studying by a Musical Theater Academy in Italy, and it really takes a LOT of time.. and in my freetime (do I have it?) I should study history of theater and musical theater and of course all the subjects we study at the academy..
This work doesn't let me much time to study new languages..
So the answer to your question is: in my freetime I revise or study in depth a language I already know, as I do now with English :)

snoppingasusual
Quadrilingual Hexaglot
Groupie
Lebanon
Joined 5379 days ago

49 posts - 65 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Egyptian), French*, English*, Arabic (Written)*, Arabic (Levantine)*, Spanish

Message 4 of 9
06 September 2009 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
daniel-italia wrote:
well.. I've not found an English thread, yet..
I'll start by introducing myself..
huh! before I forget: I'd be very grateful to be corrected, for I know I'll make a lot of mistakes..
I was saying..I'll introduce myself!!
I'm Daniel, born in Triest (north-east of Italy), twenty-two-years-old, and as you may guess.. I'm a language lover! I discovered it when I had my first experience as tourist-animator (do you say this word?) (I didn't get what you were trying to say) in Ibiza.. It was thrilling! First, because I simply adore Spain and what concerns it, especially the language.. Second, because I love working with lots of people, and all of us know what kind of work animation is :P! Then because, as I said, I love speaking foreign languages.. At work, I had to speak English a lot because my colleagues came from several countries, such as Slovakia, Polonia, France, Holland, Germany, England, Austria, and Italy. All meetings were spoken in English, and my English improved a lot.. (I was the worst in my English class!) Then of course, I learned a little bit of Spanish: I say a little bit because Spanish clients were few in number.. but I could speak with the lifeguards and the waiters, and so I began speaking Spanish too.. But I've not spoken it for ages, so I've forgotten a lot of things :( But I'm sure that when I begin to revise it, I'll remember a lot, also because I'm helped by my Italian nativity (I think it should be nationality, or just change this sentence altogether; maybe change it to: also because I'm helped by being a native speaker of Italian, which makes it easier for me to learn Spanish)!
Then I had to speak a lot of German, too, because there were many German clients! I studied German at school, for eight years.. But unfortunately, it has been a long time, and I don't have opportunities to improve it..
At the end, I learned a bit of Slovakian because a Slovakian friend of mine taught it to me.. But I can say I've quite forgotten it!

OK.. Maybe I've written too much.. Sorry, I was too involved :)
Waiting for corrections :))), but not only corrections, also your experiences or anything you want to share in this new thread!

thanks in anticipation :)

That was a great post; you just have to watch out for some complex comma rules. Also, you need to figure out the subject of the verbs, so you can conjugate them better. And there are some expressions that you wouldn't use in the English language. All in all, I have real confidence that your studies will improve you. Oh, and you don't put a comma before adverb clauses when they come in the second part of the sentence (I ate an apple because I want to be healthy). Also, thanks for aiding me in correcting, Jiwon.

Best of luck, Daniel.

Edited by snoppingasusual on 06 September 2009 at 6:53pm

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6248 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 9
06 September 2009 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
You study MUSICAL THEATRE?? OH MY GOD THAT'S SO AMAZINGLY COOL!

What's your voice type?? My instrument is a baritone with lyrical quality.. :)

deHind
Italy
Joined 5350 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Studies: English

Message 6 of 9
27 September 2009 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
It's nice to finally see a thread about English, I was wondering where it was!
Daniel, it would also be interesting to know where you live in Italy... perhaps we both are from Salerno!

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5379 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 7 of 9
28 September 2009 at 5:41am | IP Logged 
Your title merits a correction as well, if I may: the word "thread" is not pronounced
like "three" with a D at the end. It rhymes with "red", so the word "3d" did not make
sense to me initially.

English orthography is terribly confusing; I don't know how non-native English learners
cope with it. All I can say is it wouldn't be this way if I were the supreme dictator of
the English language. ;)

deHind
Italy
Joined 5350 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Studies: English

Message 8 of 9
28 September 2009 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
I guess it's a way to learn, we all are here for the same reason. =)

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version