Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Multilingual Answering Machine Thread :-)

Tags: Multilingual
 Language Learning Forum : Multilingual Lounge Post Reply
9 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Chung
Diglot
Joined 6982 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 1 of 9
12 August 2009 at 6:14am | IP Logged 
I recently changed the greeting on my phone and just for fun (and a small exercise) I recorded the new greeting in Finnish and Polish in addition to English.

The full greeting is now:

Hello. This is 987-654-3210. Unfortunately I can't come to the phone right now but please leave a brief message after the tone. Thank you.

Hei! Tämä on 987-654-3210. Valitettavasti en ole tällä hetkellä tavattavissa. Voit jättää viestin äänimerkin jälkeen. Kiitos ja hei! [Finnish]

Tu numer 987-654-3210. Niestety nie mogę teraz odebrać komórki. Proszę zostawić wiadomość po sygnale. Dziękuję. [Polish]

I'm curious what standard greetings on answering machines look/sound like in other languages. Feel free to add ones in languages that you know.
1 person has voted this message useful

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6786 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 2 of 9
12 August 2009 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
Salve ! Qui è lo 987-654-3210 . Purtroppo non posso rispondervi ora , prego lasciare un messaggio dopo il segnale acustico .Grazie (Italian)

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6720 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 9
14 August 2009 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
As ever, I am rather opinionated and have my own pet peeves about this subject, and can't resist including them here:

In general, most answering machine messages are too long. I hate having my time wasted by having to listen to a five-minute talk show before I can leave my message and am more likely to hang up half-way through.

Informing the caller of what number they have just dialled is simply an insult to their intelligence imho, tantamount to calling them stupid.

I can see how it can sometimes be useful to have messages in different languages though. But there it would be best if they could be made even shorter.

Saying who you are is usually unnecessary for private numbers but might be a good idea for business numbers.

Here is the message you will get if you call my home number:
"Escucho tu mensaje y te llamo en seguida."

Edited by Hencke on 14 August 2009 at 5:50pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6982 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 4 of 9
14 August 2009 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
I stick the number in my answering machine since I do want to alert the caller that he or she actually called the correct number (I do receive people who've dialed wrong numbers, you know), while at the same time not automatically reveal the identity of the phone's owner (i.e. my name).

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6841 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 9
14 August 2009 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Hencke wrote:
Here is the message you will get if you call my home number:
"Escucho tu mensaje y te llamo en seguida."

Short and to the point. Mine's a bit longer but equally direct. I also don't see the need for long messages.

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6720 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 9
14 August 2009 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
I stick the number in my answering machine since I do want to alert the caller that he or she actually called the correct number (I do receive people who've dialed wrong numbers, you know)

Oh sorry, my comment was not directed at you specifically. I was just describing how I feel about it in general, since a lot of people do put the number in there.

Thanks for starting the thread btw. It's an interesting subject, and good luck with your Finnish!

Archimedes
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 5403 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French, Spanish
Studies: Finnish, Albanian, Modern Hebrew, Italian

Message 7 of 9
18 August 2009 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
Translation into German:

Hallo. Hier ist 987-654-3210. Unglücklicherweise kann ich jetzt nicht ans Telefon gehen, aber bitte hinterlassen Sie eine kurze Nachricht nach dem Ton. Danke [German]

gedamara
Diglot
Albania
Joined 5167 days ago

22 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: German, Albanian*
Studies: French, English

Message 8 of 9
12 April 2010 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
Personi që keni kerkuar momentalisht nuk ka qasje në rrjetë. Ju lutem provoni më vonë.(albanian)

Edited by gedamara on 12 April 2010 at 8:04pm

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version