Groupie
United States
yong321.freeshe
Joined 5367 days ago

80 posts - 104 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 4
08 October 2012 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
I've seen a lot of German research articles titled "Beitrag zur ...", especially "Beitrag zur Kenntnis ...", sometimes just "Zur ...". I think it's silly to translate it to "Contribution to ...". Is this phrase completely meaningless, or it has some implication? Does it just mean "The study of ...", or even "Random thoughts on ..."? Thanks.
1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4346 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 2 of 4
08 October 2012 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
"Beitrag" can have the meaning of "article". Thus "Beitrag zur ..." could either mean "article about ... [the stated topic]" (as the main title) or "article written for ... [the stated symposium/anthology/..." (as a subtitle).
Well, I guess the literal meaning would actually be "contribution to the field of ...", but not everything is to be taken literally ;)

Edited by daegga on 08 October 2012 at 1:57am

2 persons have voted this message useful

yong321
Groupie
United States
yong321.freeshe
Joined 5367 days ago

80 posts - 104 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 4
08 October 2012 at 5:15am | IP Logged 
That helps. I think Beitrag first means contribution, and then article, as a result of (my guess) German writers using it as the first word of the article title, in most cases not as a contributed article to a symposium or academic journal.

Anyway, probably due to this superfluous phrase, English translations vary, as in the case of (say) Karl Marx's "Zur Kritik der Hegelschen Rechtsphilosophie":

A Contribution to the Critique of Hegel’s Philosophy of Right
http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1843/critique-hpr /intro.htm

Critique of Hegel's Philosophy of Right
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critique_of_Hegel%27s_Philosoph y_of_Right

Toward the Critique of Hegelian Philosophy of Right
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/600950/Toward-the- Critique-of-the-Hegelian-Philosophy-of-Right

The convention of an article title beginning with "Toward ..." seems to be quite recent. It doesn't mean anything special to me either. English writers never have these useless words in the title.
2 persons have voted this message useful

unmaad
Tetraglot
India
Joined 6001 days ago

38 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, GermanC2, Hindi
Studies: Japanese

Message 4 of 4
08 October 2012 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
Among the three translations, I would select the second one, although it omits the reference to 'zur'.

This specific usage of 'zur' is not applicable to all Germanic languages, rather it is restricted to German itself. This is just one of the numerous points where German differs from English. No exact translation is possible and the only proper way (as it seems to me) is to omit the 'zur'.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version